PDA

View Full Version : filter?

bethkira2000
11/27/2007, 07:54 AM
okay I am going to have live rock and live sand with fish and inverts I need to know what kind of filter I need. And which kind of stuff goes into the filter media. I am also going to have a skimmer, so maybe a skimmer filter combo, and the tank is a 55g

boxerzz
11/27/2007, 08:13 AM
Most tanks are sufficient with a good skimmer and natural filtration IMHO.

killagoby
11/27/2007, 08:15 AM
Depending on the type of stuff you want to keep I would go with a sump or a refugium and on both set-ups have skimmer in them.

MetalIsAwsome6
11/27/2007, 08:15 AM
well you are definitely going to want to get a sump, proclear aquatics make really good ones and they come with a pefilter box in case you dont have a pre drilled tank, it sounds like you aren't putting much in your tank now but you still want a sump then put your skimmer in there

bethkira2000
11/27/2007, 09:25 AM
eventually I will have live rock and sand, along with one great cleaner crew and fish not to mention anemones and soft corals, I am getting two heaters and T5 lights. But I can't tell if I need mechanical, canister, or other kind of filter.

Avi
11/27/2007, 09:51 AM
If you have at least, say...75-pounds of live rock....and a good protein skimmer, you won't need any additional "filter." Depending on a lot of things..like the amount of food you put in the tank, the quality of the water you use for water changes, etc. with the live rock and the skimmer you shouldn't have any nitrate issues. Still, as things will go with keeping a reef, even with the rock and the skimmer you might have traces of nitrates. Rather than a filter of any kind, increased water changes with a good RO/DI water source, IMO, would be the best way to deal with that rather than any kind of "filter." If the nitrates persist even with increased water changes like that, there are other ways to address that...but a "filter" isn't one of them. So, stay away from canisters, powerfilters or any of those kinds of filtration devices that are used in freshwater tanks.

One more thing...Monitor the phosphates regularly and if there are traces of phosphates set up a phosphate reactor and use a good phosphate removing medium like Rowaphos or any of those ferric-type mediums. I guess that's form of "filtration" but, again, not the kind you'd get from a traditional canister, etc.

Zestay
11/27/2007, 10:41 AM
most filters ( canister filters, filter pads, etc ) arent filters. they are traps. they trap debries and detritus and hold them there until you have time to remove them ( changing the filter pads / washing the canister out )

have you decided if your going to use an over flow box or drill your tank yet beth? that way you can use a sump?

so far i have been under the assumption that you planned on keeping everything in the tank. its not the common method here, however its not an inproper method. if you do decided to keep everything "in the tank " or use hang on back set ups. i would reccomend a quality hang on back skimmer ( remora / prizim .. im sure theres others but i havent dug that deep )

and an aquaclear filter with some serious modifications to turn it into a refuge. ill try and find you a link to one. now, this AC ( aquaclear ) wont be a filter when your done with it. just a pump with an addition space for water to be stored. and your going to put some live rock rubble in it and some macro algae. the macro algae will filter your water better than any filter pad could ever dream too. and this algae is available from any reefer for about 5 dollars a sammich bagful. or your fish store should sell you a handfull cheap ( it grows fast )

killagoby
11/27/2007, 02:47 PM
Go with an Ocotopus or a Deltec HOB skimmer over a Remora or a Prizm.