PDA

View Full Version : Zoa additives?

Aussie_hippie_2
11/27/2007, 09:34 AM
I have a 5.5g with some Zoas, LR, and a few hermits. The Zoas are looking beautiful, but aren't really growing. I don't add anything to the water, since I have no fish or other inverts, and am starting to wonder if the lack of any source of outside food is causing my Zoas to not grow. I realize they're photosynthetic, but I was wondering if there are some things I should be adding to help them?

Thanks in advance.

otiso777
11/27/2007, 11:06 AM
The lack of food could certainly be preventing your zoanthids from growing. While they are photosynthetic, they also absorb nutrients from the water column. Also the hermits could start to bother your zoanthids if they don't have any other source of food.

Aussie_hippie_2
11/27/2007, 12:21 PM
So what should I add?

On a somewhat related note, are Emerald crabs Zoa safe?

otiso777
11/27/2007, 01:48 PM
I would feed a small amount of sinking pellets every couple of days. This will keep the hermits happy and not bothering your zoathids as well as benefit your zoas by putting some nutrients into the water. I have read that emerald crabs are reef safe when small but can become destructive when they get bigger. My experience is limited with emerald crabs but most crabs are opportunistic feeders that can never be fully trusted.

Aussie_hippie_2
11/28/2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about Emeralds, since they love bubble algae so much, I don't think it would be such a huge step...
On a related note, would a yellow clown goby be ok with Zoas? I'm trying to decide between this, a neon goby or a red-headed goby. Ah decisions.

otiso777
11/28/2007, 12:46 PM
I've never had a yellow clown goby but I've read that it can be difficult to get them to eat. The neon goby is the hardiest of the fish that you list and captive bred fish are often available.