PDA

View Full Version : 15lbs LR for 29g DT enough?

Envy07
11/27/2007, 10:51 AM
Hey,

I was wondeirng if 15lbs of INDO live rock is enough for a 29g AGA DT and 10g sump. I have a 5g refugium within the sump. I know the rule is minimum 1lb/gallon but if I really control the bioload, will this be a matter?

Thanks

steven_dean17
11/27/2007, 11:05 AM
You don't have to have live rock so any amount will be ok. It's not the amount of holes in the rock, it's what lives in those holes. The bacteria and other creatures will find a place to live.

Jocko
11/27/2007, 12:35 PM
Um... actually yeah it is about the holes because more holes means more surface area. And the more surface area you have, the more places there are for bacteria to colonize. Hence, greater biological processing capacity.

Envy, the biggest factor governing how much rock you need is the bioload of your tank. Pourous rock gives the bacteria a place to live. But the bacteria survive by eating the waste product of the other life forms in your tank. You could have 1000lbs of rock in a tank, but if you only have 1 tiny fish, there wouldn't possibly be enough food to support a bacteria population large enough to cover all that rock. Which isn't to say there is a problem with having all that rock, it just wouldn't be needed.

The best thing is to just take things slowly and keep testing your water. If things stay at 0, then you're probably doing pretty well.

mg426
11/27/2007, 12:47 PM
Myself I would say that you are on the low side of things. Jocko makes some good points in his post. Going slowly and keeping track of things is a solid foundation for success. Bottom line if things are doing Ok then your fine.

ahullsb
11/27/2007, 01:39 PM
I think you would be fine with that much rock

JOSEPHLB
11/27/2007, 01:45 PM
The problem is, which comes from your quote of "but if I really control the bioload"..

That is something everyone says.. including myself..
We always tell ourselves that we'll control our feedings.. change the water strictly, on a timely schedule.. etc.. etc..

But, when reality sets in.. and once the tank is established.. I'm sure a good half of us, fail to deliver upon those thoughts and self-imposed promises.

:D

Vinnie71975
11/27/2007, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11264122#post11264122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Envy07
Hey,

I was wondeirng if 15lbs of INDO live rock is enough for a 29g AGA DT and 10g sump. I have a 5g refugium within the sump. I know the rule is minimum 1lb/gallon but if I really control the bioload, will this be a matter?

Thanks

I would get 2 or 3 lbs of live rock per gallon IMHO