PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been able to keep a snowflake eel with inverts?????

steri
11/27/2007, 06:44 PM
I saw a 10 inch snowflake this past weekend. HE looked so cool. I didn't buy him, but I really wanted to. I know the book on them. I know they need a lot of caves, and I got about 80 lbs of LR which I think would be sufficient. I have a top, so I'm not worried about that, but I do have cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a fire shrimp. My understanding is that those guys would be quick snacks for a snowflake.

Is that right? Has anyone been able to keep one of these with shrimp, snails, or crabs of any kind. I'm curious what the responses might be.

I don't think I would get him out of concern for the shrimp, but just thought I would ask.

uscharalph
11/27/2007, 06:49 PM
I wanted one too, but settled for an engineer goby.

Embowe
11/27/2007, 06:50 PM
I am in the same boat...my LFS has baby ones...less than 6" long..and I would love to get one..just worried about my livestock...

richofoz
11/27/2007, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure snowflakes eat pretty much all crustaceans...
I've actually seen one destroy a 3" mantis shrimp...
I don't think your poor shrimp would last too long!

Rich...

steri
11/28/2007, 08:29 AM
bump, just out of further curiosity ;)

Blown 346
11/28/2007, 08:36 AM
Im sure some people have kept them with inverts, but Im positive the outcome has been the same. Snacks!

Eels, will qucikly eat what they can catch regardless of it being inverts or fish. If they can catch one of your smaller fish they will. If an Eel is what you really want, you should have an aggressive tank, otherwise you will spend alot of money on food once your fish or inverts vanish.

steri
11/28/2007, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11270976#post11270976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
Im sure some people have kept them with inverts, but Im positive the outcome has been the same. Snacks!

Eels, will qucikly eat what they can catch regardless of it being inverts or fish. If they can catch one of your smaller fish they will. If an Eel is what you really want, you should have an aggressive tank, otherwise you will spend alot of money on food once your fish or inverts vanish.

That's about what I thought. Man they look cool. I would love to have one, but I couldn't reorganize a whole tank for one thing.

Maybe I should just set up a bunch of tanks so I could always have specialized tanks for the "cool things" I find that never seem to be able to go with anything else I already have :lol:

bassettmd
11/28/2007, 01:17 PM
My 24inch SFE has been living comfortably with my blood shrimp and coral banded shrimp for the last 6 months or so... absolutlely no problems. I believe the key is to buy the eel when it is a baby and introduce it to the tank after the inverts have already become somewhat established.

bassettmd
11/28/2007, 01:18 PM
Also... I make sure that I keep him well fed... so he does not look elsewhere for food.

Embowe
11/28/2007, 03:01 PM
My big worry is the fact that I have a sandsifting goby..who obviously stay in the floor of the tank all the time...on the same level that the eel would be...I would love a SFE but the chance isnt worth it to me..plus I really like my camel shrimp..