PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping

nmhs2
11/28/2007, 11:20 AM
Ok so ive got a 55 gallon reef tank currently with around 45 lbs of live rock. I just ordered 45 more lbs and I just got it in the mail yesterday. For now it's curing. I got it because I want my tank to really look like a reef tank with lots of plants and support to hold them. The question is I have no idea how im going to design it to get it to fit. heres a vid of my tank now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-j8-JD_R6U The rocks i just got are probably the biggest one is 10" inches or sumthing a bunch of medium sized rocks. If anyone could give me advice on how to set this up it would be great :)

papagimp
11/28/2007, 11:26 AM
If ya want some really great idea's, go to reef keeping magazine and browse through many of the "Tank of the Month" winners as well as looking through various tank build threads and RC blogs. Their are thousands of ways to go about aquascaping and it all comes down to what look you want. But FWIW, my 55g at one point had around 200lbs of lr crammed in their and still looked awesome. Just takes time and practice.

Heres a little advice though, be sure to get each piece secure as possible. Use Zip Ties, underwater Epoxy, whatever ya got to, to keep the rocks from falling out of place. Nothing sucks like a rock tipping, hitting the glass, and cracking the tank.

rhino509
11/28/2007, 10:35 PM
with close to 100 lbs of rock,you shouldnt have any trouble coming up with something that looks pleasing.you have to realize too,tanks look quite different when first setup compared to when they get esatblished with corals and such,even the most basic looking rock stacks will look great in time.

also,sometimes is depends on what you want to have for animals.might want a couple small caves/overhangs,some open sand area.

youll be fine,just look around as stated above,just get is situated before it gets too full. :P

steven_dean17
11/28/2007, 10:48 PM
Put the rock in a big box. Pick the box up and dump it in the tank................instant reef!!!!!!!YEAAAAAA----DONE! Just kidding.

nmhs2
11/29/2007, 08:25 AM
LOOOL haha Watch out fish!!!!!!!!!

usmc121581
11/29/2007, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11276359#post11276359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steven_dean17
Put the rock in a big box. Pick the box up and dump it in the tank................instant reef!!!!!!!YEAAAAAA----DONE! Just kidding.

When I had to move my tank to a friends house I knew I was going to rip it down again and I did that. Actually looked natural.

imrinkrat
11/29/2007, 10:03 AM
Also remember that you dont need to use all of your rock, especially ordering online its a good idea to buy more than you really need so that you can handpick the peices as best possible..... a stone chissel and hammer can also be useful allies in your aquascaping battle......

As far as the actual aquascape, I like the look of caves and nooks so I always use large oblong shaped rocks on the bottom and big flat rocks on the second layer to traverse them.. from there the medium sized ones then the small ones (small ones are also good for breaking up large openings and providing extra support in case the unthinkable rock shift happens)

barbra
11/29/2007, 11:22 AM
The best tank designs I have come up with were by accident. Every time I try to make a visually pleasing arrangement I fail. It only seems to work if I don't think about it :)

webbstock
11/29/2007, 11:43 AM
Right now I would say that your tank's rock need some height to it. I would go with a couple of pillars at each end that reach up near the surface. That will still give the tank lots of open swimming room and allow you to have places to place corals that have different lighting requirements.

There are a bunch of threads on RC about making "safe" pillars. Most people seem to like using PVC for the "backbone" so as to prevent rock slides.

mpty
11/29/2007, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11278986#post11278986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by webbstock
Right now I would say that your tank's rock need some height to it. I would go with a couple of pillars at each end that reach up near the surface. That will still give the tank lots of open swimming room and allow you to have places to place corals that have different lighting requirements.

There are a bunch of threads on RC about making "safe" pillars. Most people seem to like using PVC for the "backbone" so as to prevent rock slides.

i totally agree with webbs here. you gotta like pile those rockie things up. i'm all about the bridges, make it look like a wreath reef thingie you know? they're so much prettier when you have all these crevices and stuff that the fishies can like swim thru and stuff you know? like little underwater caverns and stuff. plus like what will you do when you get like more rock? you can't pile them on top of the stuff you have like coral and stuff on already. think of the future baby, lol. what about our children? think of our children! lololol. like seriously, you'll have o rearrange it like anyways so why make it hard?

xoxompty

mpty
11/29/2007, 01:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11271855#post11271855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nmhs2
Ok so ive got a 55 gallon reef tank currently with around 45 lbs of live rock. I just ordered 45 more lbs and I just got it in the mail yesterday. For now it's curing. I got it because I want my tank to really look like a reef tank with lots of plants and support to hold them. The question is I have no idea how im going to design it to get it to fit. heres a vid of my tank now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-j8-JD_R6U The rocks i just got are probably the biggest one is 10" inches or sumthing a bunch of medium sized rocks. If anyone could give me advice on how to set this up it would be great :)

hello species nmhs2,... (omg i'm like so sorry, that was a loser ex-bf joke, omg, lol!).
i love that pink thing blowing in the current. wow. beautiful *is sooooooo jealous* you must have like some super blower storm maker thingie going huh? that pink thingie rawk rules. *is soooo jealous* totally devious baby!

xoxompty

nmhs2
11/29/2007, 02:28 PM
LOL! :)