PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint not reefsafe?

hybridgenius
11/28/2007, 04:08 PM
I was wondering how to catch these little guys... i have 5 and they seem to do well in my tank, but my friend on the other hand is having trouble with them picking at his zoanthids and corals. Any suggestions?

yoboyjdizz
11/28/2007, 04:14 PM
Peppermints are reef safe for the most part. In packs they become more bold and tend to steal food from corals or anemones. Sometimes lfs get them confused with camel shrimp and sell them as pepps which are not reef safe. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you really think they are doing harm to your reef. But could luck catching these guys traps with food in them could work.

falconut
11/29/2007, 06:27 AM
Not all peppermints are reef safe. I had 1 in my 90 gal. that was eatting the lashes off of my Zoas & Yellow Polyps. It took me 3 nights with a flash light to catch it. I had to lay nets (with a little flake food) in the tank near his hole. He wouldn't go in, but would go right next to and eat the food out. It took many attempts, but 1 time he went out where there were no holes in the rock and got cornered. It wasn't easy or fun but it needed to be done. All the Zoas and Polyps recovered within a few weeks.

falconut
11/29/2007, 06:28 AM
Oh, mine was a peppermint, not a camel. I had camels in my other tank and I know what they look like.

Danny07204
11/29/2007, 06:47 AM
That might explain my missing zoas:confused:

Thurge
11/29/2007, 09:27 AM
No more shrimp in my reef. I got sick and tired of feeding my LPS and having the Peppermint and Cleaner shrimp come and steal the food from the corals. It didn't matter if I paid them off with their own piece of Krill, they would just drop that piece and go pluck food from the corals.
I had luck nettign them by being very slow about it. I fed the corals like normal and when the shrimp went for the food I would get the net behind them and very slowly work them into a corner and net them.

Then toss them into one of the Mantis tanks. :D

fali
11/29/2007, 01:23 PM
i heard peppermints like to eat aptasia anemomes. But sometimes they mistake yellow polyps for these anenomes and eat them.