PDA

View Full Version : Which denitrator?

Waxxiemann
11/29/2007, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure which denitrator is best for me. I've got about 150 gallons total volume.

Korallin
Midwest
H&S

I'd prefer a unit that requires no feedpump to work. The thing I don't like about the midwest unit is that you need a syphon from the tank.

Does anyone have experience with these units that can lend a hand?

I am leaning toward the Korallin unit right now because it does not require a feed pump, they all look relativley similar to me.

Thanks,
Waxx

DocJim
11/29/2007, 10:27 AM
I have a Korallin and it works very well. Instructions were poor but still easy to figure out the set up. Only down side is the effluent has a low pH and will lower your tanks slightly. Shouldn't be a problem unless you are battling pH now.

Reef Sponger
11/29/2007, 10:44 AM
The H&S unit is so easy to setup, very simple design and works great. I haven't had to touch my unit since the first few weeks and that's important as I do a lot of traveling.

The H&S unit works best in sump as the feed pump is under the unit within the stand. If you don't have 6" x 7" area within your sump, then you can install externally, but you will need a feed to the pump.

Waxxiemann
11/29/2007, 01:15 PM
DocJim, do you require a feed pump for the Korallin? It says you don't on the Korallin website but you never know.

I like the H&S as well, all the stuff they make is so nice.

It will be a tough call. I could fit the smaller unit in my sump ... barely.

kdblove_99
11/29/2007, 01:27 PM
I almost got one. It was the H&S model.

It seem very simple to set up and use and there products are made very well

Waxxiemann
11/30/2007, 07:44 AM
so after some reading and comparing it looks like I'll probably go with the H&S unit (the smaller version) thanks for all the input. Now I just have to find one =)

Waxx

bsk997
11/30/2007, 11:25 AM
I have the midwest one since they have good support, price, and 90 day guarantee.
I've had mine for about 6 months now and its working great.
The midwest and korallin are very similar. I know the midwest sulfur comes with bacteria already in it so there's less cycle time.
With both the midwest and korallin, you can use a feed pump or gravity feed it. Which ever works best for your setup.

TandN
11/30/2007, 11:47 PM
I recently bought a Midwest one with out testeding my tank first and then realizing my trates were 0 on my new Lamotte test kit. Do you think I should still use it or sell it ?