PDA

View Full Version : sand paper for an acrylic tank

soccerken
11/29/2007, 12:00 PM
what sand paper would i need to buff-out a couple scraches on my tank? i got the kit but that only did so much, just looking for a cheaper way.

thanks

woz9683
11/29/2007, 12:38 PM
What kit did you get? Kit's made for polishing plastics will finish with a scratch pattern invisible to the human eye, so I'm not sure what you mean by "[it] only did so much".

These kits aren't cheap in general, but they really are the best option. The micromesh kit NC78-1 available from www.micro-surface.com is a good option for removing isolated scratches. Is this similar to what you used? Also, most of these kits will finish with a liquid buffing compound that puts a final polish on the sandpaper job, but really, if done correctly, the sandpaper by itself does a spectacular job.

bracebldrs
11/30/2007, 06:44 AM
you can try a automotive store they usualy carry upto 1200 grit
wet sand paper ,compounds and buffing wheels.

shootist
12/01/2007, 02:36 AM
Could anyone elaborate a little more on this topic? I have a few scratches on my acrylic frag tank,its quite small maybe 15 gal and not on display so I dont want to spend a ton buying a kit to remove a few scratches but would like to remove them none the less. If I try sandpaper should I start with say 800 and progress to 1200? or just 1200 or would I be better trying to buff them out with a wheel/wheels? Or will I just make it worse?

rlabriola
12/01/2007, 02:59 AM
i used to work at an auto body shop and i can not quote specifics, but i believe the same procedure for buffing a car, applies to an acrylic aquarium. if you have deep scratches i would do 1200 wet. followed by 2500 so no big scratches left behind, and for super fine scratches i would do like 1800 max 2500 min. then polish with a high speed wheel, and polish made for plastic.

shootist
12/04/2007, 02:38 AM
I think I will practice on some scraps til I figure out the best methodology.

AlexB650
12/04/2007, 03:21 AM
you don't need sandpaper or some expensive kit. Google tap plastics and look on their site for #2 scratch remover. It's $5 and works great. I put it on a buffing wheel and made the tank look brand new in 30 minutes. If you have really deep scratches, you can also buy their heavier remover, which will actually scratch the tank lightly so the #2 can remove.

bracebldrs
12/04/2007, 07:05 AM
hd sells mini buffing kit small 4in wheel and varius compounds
for plastics in these sticks works pretty good for small aps
must go slow with drill or youll burn.

reefrubble
12/04/2007, 07:23 AM
I got wet dry polishing paper from this place . It worked great , on my acrylic tank .

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=820&js=y