PDA

View Full Version : Mixima clam

masonicman
11/29/2007, 01:08 PM
I have two maxima clams. They both came with a pedistal rock that they were attacthed to and are doing well. One has removed itself from the pedistal and moved about a 1 1/2 inches from it to the sand surface. Last night it look like it was turning on its side a little. My question is, should I re-position it to face upward again or leave it be?

01saleen
11/29/2007, 01:14 PM
1 of my clams sometimes does the same thing. I will place them in the sand next to a rock where they can get good light, and a day or two later he will lay on his side. But his mantles is fully open and he looks happy so i just leave em. I also have tried to move him around to see if they would like a better spot with more/or less lighting but 1 of them always seem to like to lay on its side? i just left them there, he seems happy.

swjim
11/29/2007, 01:15 PM
What kind of lights are you using? Maximas like a lot of light, you might want to consider moving it up higher in the rockwork. IME clams don't move much once they're "happy" with their location.

mbbuna
11/29/2007, 06:07 PM
you dont want it laying on its side. they use the light hitting there mantles to make food so if its sideways it cant get enough light to make food