PDA

View Full Version : Anemone not sticking

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 07:51 PM
I understand they tend to MOVE if they dont like a certain area, but my new RBTA just doesnt stick period. I understand they like crevices and being in between rocks, but I've tried putting it everywhere and it just seems to peel off and float with the current until it hits the corner. Any ideas? Its about 6 inches btw.

davocean
11/29/2007, 08:01 PM
Need tank/light specs, params.

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 08:20 PM
It has nothing to do with my params or light right now otherwise i would've listed them too... everything is good and normal and its also full and blossomed. It just won't stick to a rock for some odd reason and floats to the corner of my tank and just sits there... not even sticking to anything.... was just wondering if anyone had any methods.

davocean
11/29/2007, 08:26 PM
Specs are normal process of elimination, shot in the dark w/out.
If it's not sticking, somethings not making it happy.

Toddrtrex
11/29/2007, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11282448#post11282448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Specs are normal process of elimination, shot in the dark w/out.
If it's not sticking, somethings not making it happy.

+1

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 09:09 PM
If you cant help then dont... I understand specs are almost everything, but like i mentioned earlier this had nothing to do with it SPEC-WISE... like i said parameters are NORMAL... everything is doing fine and it wouldnt BLOOM if it wasnt happy... not like the mouth is sticking out or the tubes are thin and not full... I just dont understand why it chooses to rather be in sand than on rock or between it. Im not being stubborn so stop making it seem that way. No where did i say specs werent important... i just stated that this had nothing to do with it. And I'll repeat one more time... its BLOOMED and FULL... its healthy and full of color... its just isnt sticking to rock... i was wondering if there was a trick around this besides leaving it in the sand... thats it.

Toddrtrex
11/29/2007, 09:20 PM
And I will this, it isn't healthy if it isn't attaching, or something is upsetting it. And the best way to help address that problem is by finding out more about your tank. That involves knowing the water specs and what types of lights you have.

And BTW "normal" is not helpful at all.

But, since you don't consider the questions that I and davocean important and not helpful at all, I am at a loss.

Wish you the best of luck, and hopefully you will understand that we were just trying to help you. And your response to our questions is a bit rude in my opinion.

davocean
11/29/2007, 09:49 PM
Dude, you really need to lighten up.
If you ask for us to take the time to help you, the LEAST you could do is take the time to type tank specs.
Even better yet, put them in your sig to save us all time and frustration.
Our time is valuable also.
Good luck.

NirvanaFan
11/29/2007, 09:54 PM
a pic of your tank setup wouldn't hurt either. Maybe we could suggest placement, moving powerheads, etc.

Anemone
11/29/2007, 09:57 PM
I agree with the above. If the anemone doesn't stick, it's not happy. If it's not happy, it's most likely something in the "specs."

Saying your "tank specs are normal" is not only not helpful, it's useless. Lighting (type, wattage and bulb color and age), Water Flow, filtration type, maintenance schedule and finally actual, real live measurements of tank water chemistry (pH, temp, S.G., ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity) at a MINIMUM could easily have an effect on whether your anemone "sticks" or not.

After we've exhausted the above, we can talk about tank mates.

But, if everything is "normal," then obviously you don't have any problem.

Kevin

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 10:16 PM
If your time was that valuable you wouldnt come back to see what i typed. Stop this nonsense... i said everything is fine... thats more insulting as if you are calling me stupid not knowing what NORMAL parameters are... everything from ammonia - nitrate is at ZERO and ph is at 8.2 with salinity at 1.025... my LIVESTOCK are doing well... even the other BTA i have in the tank which actually STICKS TO A ROCK... like i mentioned above... the new guy i have rather stay on sand then stick to rock... some anemones prefer being in sand... i was just wondering if there was a trick to get it to stay on a rock... i believe you are being more rude when you misunderstood what i wrote in the beginning... thats even more insulting when you talk to me as if i know nothing... i actually went ahead and said its normal so you wouldnt have to waste your time reading the readings! YOU GUYS NEED TO LIGHTEN UP BECAUSE I WASNT EVEN MAD OR BEING COCKY JUST NOW.

Lance M.
11/29/2007, 10:20 PM
Also to go with everything said above-

Was it attached to something (rock/glass) when you bought it?

How did you acclimate it?

Lance M.
11/29/2007, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11283374#post11283374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hybridgenius
i believe you are being more rude when you misunderstood what i wrote in the beginning... thats even more insulting when you talk to me as if i know nothing... i actually went ahead and said its normal so you wouldnt have to waste your time reading the readings! YOU GUYS NEED TO LIGHTEN UP BECAUSE I WASNT EVEN MAD OR BEING COCKY JUST NOW.

Actually you're the one being rude, not only in this post, but also in your previous posts. I wouldn't expect any help from anyone now.

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 10:24 PM
Funny you mention glass... it was attached to glass(first time i received an anemone on glass too). I used the drip method for acclimating(2hours). Wait actually it isnt even in the sand anymore its on the corners of my glass and just staying there now. I cant find anything wrong with the anemone because it looks so damn healthy, but isnt it unusual for a RBTA to stick to sand/glass?

Anemone
11/29/2007, 10:25 PM
Excuse us. I have seen literally tens of thousands of posts. I have seen "normal" temperature range from 72-86 degrees, "normal" Ammonia readings from zero through 0.25 ("the LFS said that's okay, right?"), nitrite "normals" from zero through 0.4 (really), and nitrate "normals" up to 80. I've had people tell me that their 40 watt NO bulb was "normal" reef lighting, and seen Specific Gravity from 1.018 to 1.030 described as "normal."

You have been a member here less than a month and we're supposed to assume that you really do know what normal is? You have an anemone already in the tank which is exhibiting "normal" behavior, but you don't think that's something to mention?

Sorry, your answers have been less than helpful, and your attitude will likely cause those that might help you to choose not to.

Good luck.

Kevin

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 10:27 PM
Wow! Are you serious? Guys... I wasnt even trying to be rude. I am VERY VERY SORRY if it is coming off that way right now. This is the first time I've been on this board with anyone calling me rude. It doesnt make any sense right now, but if you say so... then my deepest apologies.

Lance M.
11/29/2007, 10:35 PM
Ok.

Well IME it doesn't really matter whether or not it is attached to glass or rock as long as it is attached. If it's just floating around then don't buy it, but since yours was attached when you bought it that is a good sign.

Bta's stay on the rocks (I have never seen one in the sand or heard of it), sometimes on the glass. They usually find a hole or crevice or stick to the underside of a rock and stretch their tentacles out to the light.

Whenever I acclimated my bta's, after the drip and I put them in the tank, I would hold them next to the rock for about a minute or two to let it attach and then leave it be and never touch it again. You can try VERY GENTLY pressing against a rock to see if it attaches, if it doesn't then there is something wrong.

A picture of your setup and the anemone would help a lot.

NirvanaFan
11/29/2007, 10:43 PM
If it starts to float around again I would try putting it in an area of little flow. You already know this, but it will move to where it wants anyways. If you are trying to place it in an area of high flow, then it just won't have time to attach before it gets blown around. Maybe you can unplug one of your powerheads for a couple hours, then plug it in after it is attached where you want it.

If it is attached to the glass, I wouldn't mess with it too much. Maybe in a couple days, but I'd let it get comfortable in your system first.

Is there any way to get a pic of your tank and anemone?

NirvanaFan
11/29/2007, 10:45 PM
ohh yeah... I may have missed it but could you post what kind of lights you have again? Do you know what the specs of the light it was under before you got it? This could all play a role in it not attaching to the rock.

hybridgenius
11/29/2007, 10:50 PM
Nevermind I got it to attach. It was just me not holding it there for a minute LOL. It came off the glass pretty smooth because i was scared of damaging it, but it came off easy so I placed it on a rock for a minute and it worked! Thanks! I usually just press it gently for about 10 seconds and they usually stick thats why i was concerned about this one. I'll start holding for a minute from now on.

garygb
11/29/2007, 10:53 PM
How long have you had the anemone in the tank? Could the other tank occupants be irritating it and interfering with it settling? Years ago I had a BTA in the tank with my H. magnifica and it just wouldn't thrive. I'm an advocate of species specific tanks, although I'm aware that it not always necessary. Is there any possibility you could remove the anemone into another, already established tank (e.g., a quarantine tank) and provide it with a live rock substrate and see if it settles?
Gary