PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of mantis shrimp?

oct2274
11/29/2007, 09:53 PM
I'm curious to the lifespan of mantis shrimp - specifically Odontodactylus scyllarus.

TIA,
Chad

Also, if it isn't to much to ask, what is an acceptable temperature range for a peacock?

Pea-brain
11/30/2007, 08:07 AM
gonodactylids have a lifespan of 4-7 years or more. I've heard of people keeping O. scyllarus for over 4 years, and I think there was one guy who got his around 3 or 4" and had it seven years before it died of old age.

Dan

Pea-brain
11/30/2007, 08:09 AM
Also the temps for O. scyllarus are on Dr. roy's list in the sticky on top.

Dan

Gonodactylus
11/30/2007, 09:32 AM
O. scyllarus are found in waters as cool as 18 C and as warm as 32 C. However, you really need to know what temperature water the animal came from. An animal take from off Brisbane in 18 degree water would quickly die if placed in 27 degree water. A safe range seems to be 22-28 C.

There are no data that I know of on life span in the wild, so all we have are educaed guesses based on captured animals kept in aquaria. When provided a rich and abundant diet, these animals can grow quickly when small, but large individuals really slow down their molting rate. I would put the range somewhere between 5 and 10 years, but that is just a guess.

Roy