PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate removers?

colotl
11/30/2007, 12:50 AM
Hello everyone,
Can you guys help me select some good liquid base phosphate removers. Thanks :)

demonsp
11/30/2007, 12:50 AM
RO/DI water.

colotl
11/30/2007, 12:54 AM
Besides RO/DI Im using this already anything else besides that...:lol:

Billybeau1
11/30/2007, 01:00 AM
Currently, the best PO4 remover is GFO IMO.

There are many on the market. PhoSar, Rowaphas, Phosban etc.

I have found great success with Warner Marines PhoSar.

:)

uscharalph
11/30/2007, 01:00 AM
Cut down on feeding.

Billybeau1
11/30/2007, 01:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11284225#post11284225 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uscharalph
Cut down on feeding.

I don't like starving my fish.

If I can feed my fish and still keep PO4 down, I'd rather use a GFO.

I don't think I would like to be hungry all of the time. :(

bertoni
11/30/2007, 01:19 AM
The PO<sub>4</sub> isn't going to hurt the fish. It can be ignored unless there's an algal problem or the tank has stony corals.

colotl
11/30/2007, 01:38 AM
What do you guys think of phosphat-e from brightwell aquatics? It is liquid base.

colotl
11/30/2007, 01:45 AM
I just went to their website and they don't show it. I saw it in the recent aquarium fish international magazine.

minispider
11/30/2007, 06:40 AM
Best product I've used and I swear by it is "blue life phosphate control" very reef safe and used by large aquariums places. I learned about it by a very large LFS here in south Fla. My phos. reading was off the charts I did 2 water changes 2 days apart and it helped a little but not enough, so I bought this product and followed the directions (70 drops) the water will get a little cloudy for a couple of hours, the following day my phosphate readings were almost 0 and still 0 (its been 2 weeks). My tangs crap like crazy so I know it will go up again. I paid $27 for the drops but is enough for a lot of treatments. I do have a bag with phosban in my sump but somehow it did not help like this product...I'm buying a reactor soon but in the mean time this is the product to use. :D

Vin7250
11/30/2007, 10:06 AM
its never wise to put chemicals in a reef tank, especially liquid ones, but that is just MHO. GFO is the best i use rowaphos and a 45$ reactor, and now my tank is beautiful once again!!

Vin7250
11/30/2007, 10:07 AM
its never wise to put chemicals in a reef tank, especially liquid ones, but that is just MHO. GFO is the best i use rowaphos and a 45$ reactor, and now my tank is beautiful once again!! and for what its worth cutting down on feeding will not STARVE your fish....fish are not very smart and will continue to eat no matter how much food you give them, so cut down a bit and you will cut down on phosphate and nitrate (if you have any)!

colotl
11/30/2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys for the info. What is a good pump to run with the reactors?

K' Family Reef
11/30/2007, 11:50 AM
i had a problem w/ po4 while back
wanted to get rid of it naturally via macro - added fuge waited 3 mos and still didnt phase it...

once purchased reactor/phosban - never had a problem since and the media has lasted about 3 mos

only used a rio 50 to run it on a 210gal system - iow it does not require but little flow.

do you feed frozen/flake foods?

by washing the frozen foods
it is supposed to help w/ getting the phosphates out - or atleast washing the juice off - not certain why they add phospates to these mixes preservative perhaps ?

but either way i read a thread on here while back
and the po4 reading that was done on one serving of frozen mysis was like 2 or some unbelievably high number - so by not rinsing the food off you are directly adding all these to your system.

good luck.

regards

colotl
11/30/2007, 01:12 PM
I don't have a problem anymore...since i changed to refugium about a month ago. I did with canisters even though i cleaned them every week. I did have a diatom bloom but that went away soon. I just want to prevent this and figured that phosphat-e from brightwell would of been really easy to use instead of reactors and it would save me space.

Caliloaner
11/30/2007, 02:07 PM
I would just buy the reactor, and usually the reactor you buy will let you know how much flow should be used... They will have a recommended gph....

bertoni
11/30/2007, 08:07 PM
The Blue Life phosphate product has been linked to a number of animal deaths. It leaves the phosphate in the tank as a precipitate that must be removed, as well. I wouldn't use it. There are a number of threads in the chemistry forum on the lanthanum products.

tizzy
12/14/2007, 06:21 AM
I ordered some, but the pieces are soooooooooooo small they can easily leak out of a bag, and don't even think of using them in a reactor. I used a double media filter on each side and the pieces still went through.

dsn112
12/14/2007, 08:15 AM
Im using pura phoslock in a phosban reactor. Purchased the media, reactor and a minijet 404 pump from that pet place for $60

Works great, flow should make the media look like it is begining to boil.