PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Fed Kalk Reactor Plan - Opinions

djfrankie
11/30/2007, 02:52 AM
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a Kalk reactor in my 210 gallon reef system for a long time. A good friend of mine Juliovideo here in RC has modified an unused calcium reactor second chamber that I had laying around for some time.

Please check out my plan to gravity feed the kalkreactor and let me know what you think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

djfrankie

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=232329&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Cheesy_Puffs
11/30/2007, 06:58 AM
Hmm a couple things...

1) If you're only gonna use 5 gallons of the 55g drum, why not get a tank for the amount of top off you'll need for a week. Rough estimate of evap would maybe be 2 gallons a day.

2) Make sure that your supply is higher than the reactor so you don't get back fed or get a peristaltic pump if you want to put it on the same level (pumps are expensive though).

3) Why even have a float switch if you are gonna have a timer on the system and your max supply is only 5 gallons? Just calculate evaporation and use the timer to refill that amount.

4) You are also going to need some control (drip rate) of kalk introduced into the system. You don't want to put to much too fast.

Just some random thoughts, hope these would help you out!
:D

djfrankie
11/30/2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for your help and good points.

1) I have limited space in my garage. (4 kids amount to an incredible amount of junk). So the 55 gallon drum I already have fills the multipurpose pretty well. All I have to do is add salt for a water change every month.

2) Will do that for sure.

3) Got it. Will remove float switch and turn on timer after lights off (when PH drops the most and drip throughout the night). The tank evaporates 2-3 gallons per day so I will adjust accordingly.

4) Will drip throughout the night. Drip control will be before Kalk reactor.

djfrankie

Cheesy_Puffs
11/30/2007, 07:27 AM
Hmm,

1) I have limited space in my garage. (4 kids amount to an incredible amount of junk). So the 55 gallon drum I already have fills the multipurpose pretty well. All I have to do is add salt for a water change every month.

Normally when you dose kalk you use RO/distilled makeup water. I am assuming that you're gonna mix the salt in another container? :confused:

djfrankie
11/30/2007, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11284776#post11284776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cheesy_Puffs
Hmm,

Normally when you dose kalk you use RO/distilled makeup water. I am assuming that you're gonna mix the salt in another container? :confused:

Not exactly. Salt is gonna be added to the 55 gallon container only before doing a water change at which time I will not use the Kalk reactor for those two days or so. The rest of the time it will contain only RO/DI water.

Let me know if it is clear now :)

Thanks,
djfrankie