PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock fresh from the yard...

bluetmax
11/30/2007, 01:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on this. A friend of mine took down a tank following Katrina's aftermath, and all of his live rock was tossed into the yard. This has been since the end of 2005. I got all of it from him, and I want to use it, but I was wondering what the best way to clean it would be. He said that there were never any pesticides sprayed on or near it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So, other than washing the typical debris something would collect while sitting outside for that long, how would you guys reccommend that I clean it?

elvictre
11/30/2007, 01:54 PM
I would boil it outside on a BBQ burner.

reeformadness
11/30/2007, 03:11 PM
Hey a fellow MS reefer...heat should disinfect it, but I don't know if water alone will dissolve the pesticides. You might want to try soaking it in some non-toxic alcohol (everclear) to help dissolve any organics. Probably better not to use an open flame around any alcohol though.

silvers
11/30/2007, 03:15 PM
acid bath muratic acid or viniger the muratic is the best it works great bleach will eaven work. you just need to use a good declorinator afterwards I have used rock that was thrown in the yard I soaked mine in muratic it worked great.

backej1
11/30/2007, 03:32 PM
Bleach will work great. You need to let it dry until you canoot smell it any more (e.g. outside in the sun) or as suggested use a declorinator afterwards.

LISound
11/30/2007, 04:15 PM
what does the boiling do to it...

How much viniger and for how long.
I have some dead rock i picked up from a friend and thought the same thing.

I've only heard of "cooking" rock.
Is there a better way to flush it of unwanted organics and phosphates?