PDA

View Full Version : Emergency?

drillsar
11/30/2007, 03:22 PM
My light ballast'd went on me Sunday, Im using a regular light and have lps (zoo's and bubble coral), coralife said they wont have thse for at least another week, will I be ok? only one side of the tank I can light. What should I do here?

weaselslucks
11/30/2007, 03:53 PM
i think i would be fine. think of cloudy days in the ocean

Blown 346
11/30/2007, 03:55 PM
The only problem with cloudt days, is the suns rays will still penetrate to the corals. Now that he is using a regular light it wont have any where near the penetrating power of the other lights.

I would go to your LFS if they sell lights, buy a cheap set of say PC's use them and return them.

J-Burns
11/30/2007, 06:20 PM
How about going to Home depot or Lowes and buying an outdoor PC flood light. Thet come in 6500 K and don't use but around 65 watts. They put out close to 500 watt light. I am thinking you can just wire it with an extension cord and set it on top of your aquarium. It should get you through. If you don't like that you could pick up a 175 MV Dusk to Dawn light wire it the same way. I know the color ratting is a little yellow but you are only talking a week.

Sk8r
11/30/2007, 06:33 PM
A hurricane can dim the light on a given spot for a week. When you do an anti-cyano treatment, it's total lights out for 3 days and actinics only the 4th.
You might get some bacterial dieoff: keep your skimmer in top form. But it should be ok. Did you have 2 ballasts, or is all you're using regular light? If you have one side in good light, just move the fixture, if you can. If not---it should be ok, or you could get an online company to express-overnight you a ballast.