PDA

View Full Version : will my seup work ok?

shawnkfl
11/30/2007, 05:50 PM
75 gallon glass, undrilled. i don't have an option for a sump right now. maybe in the future, but for now, it's not an option. i have two penguin 350 biowheel filters i can use. i'm leaning toward a AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxijet 1200 Pump. and four or five Maxi-Jet 900 Powerheads. i have a PC light fixture with 260 watts (2) 65 watt daylight and (2) 65 watt actinics. would this setup sustain a soft coral reef effectively?

new_world_disor
11/30/2007, 06:44 PM
personally id go with 2 tunze heads or sumthing similar.

poppin_fresh
11/30/2007, 08:07 PM
I would look at the Remora Pro for a 75. I had a regular Remora on my 72 and felt it was a little weak. I agree that you should consider some Tunze nanos or Hydor Korallias for flow instead of the Maxis. The suction cup holders alone on the maxi's are reason enough to avoid them.

datablitz
11/30/2007, 08:15 PM
you should get maxi jets and you can buy a mod for them to make huge flow, maybe two or three of those, and do water changes every week or two, you dont need a skimmer, put like 75-100lbs of rock in the tank, and about 3/4" of sand. enjoy

shawnkfl
12/01/2007, 08:55 AM
thanks for the replies. i'll take a look at the tunze heads. they may be a little out of my budget but i'll shop around. if i cannot get those, i'll do that maxijet mod. that looks promising. i can always upgrade piece by piece as well.

shawnkfl
12/01/2007, 08:56 AM
forgot to ask...should i run the two penguin 350's with the standard filter or should i do something different?

zotzer
12/01/2007, 09:01 AM
I have a similar set up, only it's a 46g bow (rather than 72). Even on my smaller tank, I have a Remora Pro with Mag3 pump. Someone is building a custom pre-skimmer box for it, as the factory model is HUGE and cumbersome. (it will just contain the pump, not have a compartment for the skimmer return flow).

There is also a HOB fuge, CPR medium sized, and for flow I have two Koralia 1s on one end, and a Koralia 3 on the other. For a 72g, I think two K3s or two K4s would do the trick.

It's a nice, contained, sumpless system that seems to get the job done.

Good luck, and remember to *enjoy* and not stress too much. :)

Tracy

datablitz
12/01/2007, 09:29 AM
you could just leave the hob's off, or if you use them, leave them empty of media

shawnkfl
12/01/2007, 11:44 AM
if i leave the HOB's just turned off, i could then run carbon through them if i ever need right? or i could fill the chambers up with rubble. i plan on having 100 lbs. of live rock and about a 2" sandbed. i was thinking about using 40 lbs. of base rock and 60 lbs. of live rock. is that a good ratio? or should there be more live rock initially?

Reef'in Colorado
12/01/2007, 12:47 PM
I have a 75g with a ~4in DSB, 50lb of LR, an Emperor back filter (with bio-wheels removed) and a power head. I keep carbon in the BF and change it monthly. I only have 3 48in NO fluoro strips and the tank looks great. I only have shrooms and a few zoos now, but want to add a RBTA after I buy some upgraded lighting.