PDA

View Full Version : H2O question

NanoReefWanabe
12/01/2007, 12:02 PM
i was dripping my 2 part a couple weeks ago...(into my sump) and after the drip i checked all my levels the next day...ALK was about 400 PPM...needless to say i freaked out...and preped a 25% water change..while doing this checked the water again (in the sump) still well above 400 ppm...then i checked the water in the display tank and the ALK was only 190 ppm...(right where i keep it) so i took the water i had mixed up and did my regular 10% water change, taking mostly sump water out of the system...everything is perfectly normal now...not sure why there is such a huge discrepancy in the two tanks..
but anyway...all is good now...my question is:

now, and just remembered that i still have another 5 gallons of salt water mixed up in a pail, from two weeks ago...no Power heads no heat, as far as i know no light..unless it can get through the sides of the pail...will the water be okay to use or should i just toss it?

JESUS VILLASEŅO
12/01/2007, 03:48 PM
SALT WATER NEEDS MOVEMENT, AND NOW IT IS STAGNANT WATER, PLEASE TOSS IT AWAY AND PREPARE A NEW BATCH

bertoni
12/01/2007, 05:37 PM
I let freshly-mixed saltwater sit for weeks with no problems. It should be fine.

NanoReefWanabe
12/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Jon, by sit do you mean literally sit, as mine is? no movement...aside from the floor shaking it...no heat...and no light...the container..(5G pail) isnt sealed...but the lid is on..

i would think it would be fine if it were sealed, since they sell premixed bottle sea water at the LFS...but mine isnt sealed so i too am concerned that it may have become stagnant...the bucket i use is clean, and is ONLY used for mixing new water in...old water goes in a different jug..as does new arrivals.

bertoni
12/01/2007, 08:59 PM
I keep it in 5g containers, no pump or heat, but the containers are inside. I wouldn't let the water freeze at all. If it sits long enough, I check the SG.

NanoReefWanabe
12/01/2007, 09:39 PM
sweet....thanx....yeah i keep it inside aswell...

i didnt think salt water did freeze..isnt that why we use salt for de-icing.. :shrug:

but thanx i will check it tomorrow and i guess will let the mag 9 kick it around for a bit before i dump it in..i have to add Mag, ALK and Calcium anyway..so it needs to be mixed..again...