PDA

View Full Version : wet / dry filtration and skimmer questions

redspot321
12/02/2007, 10:28 AM
Hi guys I have a 125 FO without live rock. All I have in the display is artificial corals and fish.

I want to get a new wet / dry and skimmer. Which are the best these days?

I see proclear makes a model with a built in skimmer before mechanical filtration...that seems pretty cool!

What do you guys think?

mattsilvester
12/02/2007, 04:47 PM
I think most systems that are "built in" are usually not exactly the best, although thay are not the worst sort of thing either.....

If you are looking to get a good wet-dry type thing going, it is a good idea for all water to pass through a very large skimmer first..... then outputting into the trickle tower..... though that is difficult in most "under tank" type situations........

I have had my fair share of gagets that have more than one type of thing built into one, and my expererience has taught me to avoid them.

Dunno how much help that is.........

As far as "nitrate factory" type filters go - I prefer fluidised sand beds...... they are smaller, easier to maintain, and ultimately more efficient, if that is what your are looking for...... easy enough to set up to direct only "skimmed" water into, and easy enough to integrate some form of slow flow (or otherwise) nitrate filter for the output......

HTH

Matt