PDA

View Full Version : Anemone woes

Jpergamo
12/02/2007, 10:45 AM
hey all,
About 6 months ago my cousin had given me an anemone from his tank that he is known to butcher things in lol. It was already bleached white and somwhat shriveld after being bought pink. i took the thing thinking i was goin to revive it in my tank with good parameters and the ocasional silver side. about 2 months ago it no longer accepted food at all and i just expected it to die but it hasnt. its just leaning all over the place...then upright...but hasnt moved and still firmly attached to the rock. any pointers? ive only delt with corals, and all of mine are doing fine in the same tank, thanx

dkh-8
cal-420
ph-8.0/8.4
nitrates/phospates-undetectable.
weekly 10 g water change in 55 reef.

BigBadBlenny
12/02/2007, 11:50 AM
has anything changed from the time u got it into your tank till now? whats your tank temp and what flow is on it.

you dont need to feed them. i have had a bta in my tank for years. after it split a bunch of times i stopped directly feeding them.. they havent grown much but they have great colour in them now.

Jpergamo
12/02/2007, 05:17 PM
nothing has changed my return is a rio 3500, i also have 2 maxijet 1200's goin, all other parameters have been constant for the most part... i diddnt realize that u diddnt have to feed them thanks, im just wondering if its just the damage that was done before i got it

Toddrtrex
12/02/2007, 05:41 PM
When they are bleached you have to feed them.

And there are odds that it was to far gone before you got it.

What kind of anemone is it? And what type of lights do you have?

Anemonebuff
12/02/2007, 06:26 PM
A pic would be good. IDing the anemone will help us determine what the anemone needs.

Anemones do not require direct feeding, but some appreciate it more than others.

tami1024
12/02/2007, 06:51 PM
Dont let the anenome die in your tank because from what I have been told is that they can be very toxic to your tank depending on the bread.

MarkPo
12/02/2007, 08:20 PM
When I was nursing a badly bleached BTA back to health, it wouldn't accept silversides or squid, but would take shrimp. Small chunks of cheap, frozen peel-and-eat shrimp, no shells.

Feeding response was very weak- I used a feeding stick to hold it place for several seconds, and to chase anyone else away.

Might try another food. Mysis may also work, or really any meat food you have.

RBTA
12/02/2007, 08:29 PM
Like Toddrtrex said, anemones when they are bleached require food to sustain themselves. Normal anemones do not require food because of te zooxanthellae algae that produces food for them. ((Excuse the spelling,I almost always mispell Zoox)) And a bleached anemone has lots most if not all of its zooxanthellae algae, therefore it will not get enough food to sustain itself from the zoox and requires meaty feedings to sutain it.

I can only stress how important it is during this stage of recovery that it is fed.

Toddrtrex
12/02/2007, 08:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11300976#post11300976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBTA
Like Toddrtrex said, anemones when they are bleached require food to sustain themselves. Normal anemones do not require food because of te zooxanthellae algae that produces food for them. ((Excuse the spelling,I almost always mispell Zoox)) And a bleached anemone has lots most if not all of its zooxanthellae algae, therefore it will not get enough food to sustain itself from the zoox and requires meaty feedings to sutain it.

I can only stress how important it is during this stage of recovery that it is fed.

There is a reason I didn't attempt to spell it. ;)

And make sure you use small pieces, it will take energy for the anemone to eat it, and smaller are easier.

JENnKerry
12/02/2007, 08:44 PM
I purchased a Sebae Anemone from a LFS back in April that was about 2" in diameter and all white with purple tips. It had lost color because it was under a 15 watt bulb.
Initially, it wouldnt take food, I think it was around a month or more before it started taking silver sides and krill.
It was very fussy and wouldnt sit still due to the amount of light it went from (15 watts) to 1134 watts (3x250 halides)
Here we are now, 8 months later, it colored up and is now around 6-7" in diameter. I feed mine every week a full silver side and it is a part time home to my Clarkii.
So, attempt to feed it, dont force it and dont mess with it. Only take it out if it seems to be dying off. These are animals that will situate themselves into a comfortable spot. Just keep patient and do what you have been. It may come around...mine did.

rhinochaser
12/02/2007, 08:51 PM
bubble tips prefer alot of light, low lighting can cause bleaching