PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate question

chewieee
12/02/2007, 02:35 PM
Ok so it is my understanding that most phosphate comes from either using tap water or from frozen food? Now my question is i hear of people using phosban with there phophate reactors etc... now my question is i use RO/DI water and rinse my food well my tank shows 0 for phophate. So with this does this mean theres no reason to use phosban? is it pointless then? And if it is so easy to not have phosphate by using Ro/Di water why do so many poeple use a phosban reactor? Am i mising soemthing here?

demonsp
12/02/2007, 03:20 PM
Nope. Phosphate always overlooked but very important. If phosphate and nitrate are o then no other measures are nesseccery.
If they are low or nill then its because you dont overfeed , have proper flow, proper SB sifting crew , and use RO/DI water. If this is a new tank and you are missing one of the above you may see high nitrate readings months or yrs from now.

Acillaton
12/02/2007, 03:29 PM
Phosphate will not harm your fish but they are dangerous to corals. And they came also from fish waste. Good phosphate "reactor" is a refugium w. macro algee such as cheeto. Good luck.

donald_202
12/02/2007, 07:28 PM
can u explain how can it be bad to use a phosphate reactor for a coral tank? cuz i have a alge problem and i was thinking about gettin a phosp reactor n put it in the end of my sump.(rite b4 the return pump).