PDA

View Full Version : puzzled

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 12:16 AM
I have a 65 gallon reef tank, and recently I have been thinking about upgrading from my 50/50 power compacts to something a little bit more intense. I have many people telling me to go with metal halides because of the shimmer and intensity, and other people are saying go with T5's because I am limited with space. Just curious to hear any other opinions, because i dont want to spend a fortune, but i also want to see my coral flourish, not just survive, and understand it's not going to be cheap.

thanks.

ReefWreak
12/03/2007, 12:19 AM
Not to turn you off, but that's an incredibly open question that you're going to get 1 or more different answers for from each person that responds to this post.

I'll be honest, I'd never go T5 after having a few friends who are disappointed with it, and having seen a few tanks that were amazing in person with halide only. But that's just me, and someone will chime into this thread and say that I'm wrong. Why? Because that's how the MH vs. T5 argument goes.

Go see some other people's tanks and make the decision for yourself. Sorry to give such a disappointing answer.

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11302390#post11302390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
Not to turn you off, but that's an incredibly open question that you're going to get 1 or more different answers for from each person that responds to this post.

I'll be honest, I'd never go T5 after having a few friends who are disappointed with it, and having seen a few tanks that were amazing in person with halide only. But that's just me, and someone will chime into this thread and say that I'm wrong. Why? Because that's how the MH vs. T5 argument goes.

Go see some other people's tanks and make the decision for yourself. Sorry to give such a disappointing answer.

its cool, i appreciate the advise anyways. i understand its such a broad question; i work at a LFS and every person at work tells me to go one way or the other. haha im just trying to get more opinions to try to decide. ive seen both lights look nice on mulitple tanks.
it will definelty always be an argued question.

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11302390#post11302390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak

its cool, i appreciate the advise anyways. i understand its such a broad question; i work at a LFS and every person at work tells me to go one way or the other. haha im just trying to get more opinions to try to decide. ive seen both lights look nice on mulitple tanks.
it will definelty always be an argued question.

twon8
12/03/2007, 12:38 AM
what are your tank dimensions?

that is the most important factor in determining which method will work best for your lighting needs.

flyyyguy
12/03/2007, 12:48 AM

Go see some other people's tanks and make the decision for yourself. .

bingo

and now for another biased opinion :D

halides will use more electricity and add more heat. but if those things are a non issue or you dont mind dealing with them, its kind of like the difference between being in the fish section at Petco and on the reef itself. Yes thats exaggerating just a LITTLE, but I seriously couldnt live without that shimmer on a display tank. For a frag tank.......sure

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 12:52 AM
36x18x24

twon8
12/03/2007, 01:53 AM
for those dimensions i would go with one halide and two t5's

Jareth
12/03/2007, 10:14 AM
Thats about the same size of tank as I, and I plan to go T 5. But my decision was based on cost.

For example, I have a support across the top of my tank. I'd have to drain, cut, and replace to go with MH and still be cost effective (1 250w sits directly above the supprt, 2x150 raise the cost by nearly $250, whereas T 5's wont be overly effected by the support & I can get one with everything I need for $515). I was on the fence about it, but as stated there are plenty of T 5 tanks doing just as well as MH. But MH does get the light shimmer that some want more.

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 11:01 PM
yeah, i would rather go with a metal halide because of the shimmer, but i also have a support bar ( which is made of plastic ) and dont want it to melt.
What do you think about cutting the bar out?

flyyyguy
12/03/2007, 11:05 PM
you mena a brace on the tank. cutting it out and calling it good is...well not good.

cutting it out, leaving a couple of inches on each side to bond to and replacing it with acrylic is just fine

liferuiner055
12/03/2007, 11:08 PM
thats a nifty idea flyyyguy.
i might actually attempt that one, haha.
thanks