PDA

View Full Version : Great water change article

MUCHO REEF
12/03/2007, 06:41 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/nftt/index.php

Mucho Reef

geoxman
12/03/2007, 07:35 PM
Mucho that was a nice read in the reefkeeping issues. This forum has gotten so mundane with all of the "ID" and "my zoos will not open, and nudis...etc" that I often do not check this forum. There are a lot of educated zoathind keepers on this forum and I wish they would contribute more information and make this more of an informative and compelling forum. good luck
PL

neyugn0w01
12/03/2007, 07:59 PM
Great article.

MUCHO REEF
12/03/2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks Geoxman and neyugn0w01, just trying to share some good reads.

There are indeed a lot of knowledgeable reefers, zoa keepers around here, and I too wish that they would contribute more. I want this forum to be what it once was and more. I will do whatever I can do to help, but I need everyone to contribute and not be afraid. There are dozens of topics that we have yet to discuss. I thought of bringing back Topic Of The Week, but it will only be successful if everyone participates.

Geo, I invite you to join us and share your knowledge and help to engage others on some great topics of interest. People, it is best to discuss these topics now, instead of rushing to make post searching for answers when a crisis arises. I was off today and I spent the entire day trying to answer as much as I could to help. We need everyone's support. Who's with me?

Mucho Trying

PS, trust me, there's more to come in the future.

PaintGuru
12/03/2007, 08:25 PM
Some things in there I don't feel are as important as the author, but overall a good read for a newer reefer looking for info about water changes.

MUCHO REEF
12/04/2007, 04:53 PM
Hello Paint, "Some things in there I don't feel are as important as the author", explain. I'm curious.

Mooch

TexasTodd
12/04/2007, 04:56 PM
Ditto, decent and thanks for posting.

One thing I think many (especially newer) reefers don't know about is the percentage amount changed by one large water change vs several smaller.

Anyone have a link to one of those tables that show like one 40% change vs. the around 8 changes of 15% to make the same reduction of old water?

I'm new in the Zoa/Paly area, been living for years over in SPS.

Todd

NanoReefWanabe
12/04/2007, 08:20 PM
lol.....i cant believe i never thought of using a pump to get the crap out of my sump...where obviously a siphon wont work..

it wasnt mention though about siphoning the sand or anything...this is strictly just to change the water out...i dont know about you guys but even with 45+ turnover in my tank i still get poop on the rocks and sand

i basically shut off all my pumps then take my koralia1 and blow off the rocks and stuff...let it settle then siphon out the sand etc..of all the poop...that usually takes out about 2-2.5 gallons of water...then i just draw the other 2.5 or so gallons out of the sump...in my setup this leaves all my corals covered and everything sparkling clean.. but i could never figure out how to get the stuff out of the bottom of the sump...especially in between the baffles..

thanx for the article...

george albert
12/04/2007, 08:33 PM
a lot of great info tks mucho

dustin Combs
12/05/2007, 01:04 AM
Good read Mooch. I even got a refresher.

shootist
12/05/2007, 03:09 AM
I do a lot of little water changes. Ive got around 80 gallons total so I dont have to change a lot. I use a pretty small diameter hose so it takes a little longer to take the water out but I use the suction to clean off rocks in the tank as well as sucking all the crap out of my sump,between the baffles and the return chamber. With a little hose you can get down all around the pump. I also have a frag tank plumbed into my system that has a chamber for my skimmer and another chamber that holds a fuge. The little hose works great to suck the crap out around my frags and around the skimmer. I usually wind up changing 2 or 3 gallons 2 or 3 times a week sometimes more never less. I guess its up to the user,I think its a lot more of a chore to change a bunch at once as opposed to a little bit often.

MUCHO REEF
12/07/2007, 07:34 AM
I always say, whatever works best for you is what's best for you. If your tank is thrive, you're doing something right, and that's all one can shoot for. Thanks for sharing shootist.

Mucho

MUCHO REEF
12/08/2007, 02:08 AM
Ahhh,...... eerrrr, .........correction, I meant to say, "If your tank is thriving" pardon the typo, LOL

Mooch