PDA

View Full Version : 12 Gallon Aquapod Help

bignate31
12/03/2007, 08:40 PM
I just got a new 12 gallon Current USA Aquapod with the MH light over top. I have a few questions. When first I have live sand and live rock from a larger tank that I wan to transfer. This will be a Nano reef with coral and a few little percs. So my first question is what filtration should I use. Just the sponge or should I use the carbon and the bio balls. Second how much sand and live rick should I put in?

Thanks everyone.:rollface:

ASU-Reefing
12/04/2007, 12:54 AM
Usually your supposed to put in 2 pounds of rock and 1 pound of sand for every gallon of water but that is all just your preference you can put a little more or less depending on the way you want it to look.

mdisalvo55
12/04/2007, 05:11 AM
I would just put a pair of percs in there. It's so small and eventually two will pair up and bully the third...

jacksonpt
12/04/2007, 08:23 AM
Filtration - I'd take it all out and just run LR rubble in the chambers. You can run some carbon or phosphate remover as needed if you want, but wait and see how your tank does.

Sand - just enough to cover the bottom of the tank and keep your rock from sliding around.

Rock - how ever much you want. The more the better, generally speaking, but aesthetics play a roll in it too. If you want more fish, you'll want more open water for them to swim in. If you want more coral, you'll probably want more rock to position the coral on.

cabbage0709
12/04/2007, 11:30 AM
Bignate - I did exactly what you are doing.

I had a 30 gallon long setup and decided to start smaller after i was done cycling it. My 12g AP did fine in the transfer. I just took most of the left over rock from my 30 gallon and made it rubble to put in the back chambers. Heres how ive had mine setup since.

Left 1st chamber - Skimmer intake, heater, Xtra Maxiet pump
2nd chamber - Sponge that came with tank with a little LR rubble at the bottom so the chamber-to chamber hole doesnt clog.
3rd chamber (second from right) - All LR rubble, i had chaeto in this chamber for a long time but it soon became very dirty and it began to clog the hole into the next chamber
Last chamber - All LR in the bottom under all the other chamber and my return pump

My biggest peice of advice would be to make sure that the chamber-to-chamber flow is what you need to watch. Because a lot of crap can clog the drains from one to the other, like my chaeto.

What i did for my sand bed is laid down Light Diffuser (Egg crate to most people on the forums) and put about 2-2.5 inches on top of it. This provided a very supportive structure for my rocks and its easier to keep frags standing up in your sand with little squares for them to fit into :D

And about your stock...I have two true percs by themselves with no other fish...and they love it. One hosts in my hammer coral and they both fight over my GBTA.

Bignate - I can get you some pics if youd like

I hope this has helped you out a bit.

AzaZeL
12/04/2007, 01:14 PM
I have a 12G AP. Water/Rock from an established aquarium is great and will help your tank cycle faster. I used a piece of LR from my friend's tank. I only have about 12lbs of LR in my tank and 10lbs of live sand. As far as the filtration goes, I don't have much. looking at the front of the tank, going from left to right. 1st chamber, I have my heater. 2nd chamber, LR rubble. 3rd chamber, nothing (I use this for running carbon if the water gets dirty), 4th chamber, return pump which is a MJ1200 for me.

If you stay on top of water changes and top offs you should be fine with that. I have heard that using the sponge will cause buildups of things you don't want in your tank like nitrates. Good luck and write back often. There are tons of people here that know what they are talking about and won't give you bad advice.

cabbage0709
12/04/2007, 01:40 PM
Ill agree with Azazel, my sponge gets pretty caked. I have to wash it weekly with my skimmer collection cup.

bignate31
12/04/2007, 11:56 PM
Hey everyone. Great Idea with the LR rubble in the chambers I think I will try that as soon as possible. Last night I just could not wait I had to get the water and sand in there. I put about an inch of sand on the bottom which I think should work out. On thursday I am going to transfer my best pieces of LR into the tank and create my AquaScape. After a few days I will move over my two percs. I will try and take some picts and let you guys know how it looks.