PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a Refugium to my 300g Reef

jjj1100
12/03/2007, 09:32 PM
Hello All,

I have had a 300 gallon reef for about a year and a half, with a 40 gallon sump. I was considering adding a 75gallon refugium to the tank. What are peoples opinions about them. I was hoping to lower nitrates, as I can't get mine down below 15. Also, I would run the lights on the refugium opposite the tank to keep PH stable. Plus the water volume in the system would increase by about 20% or so. I guess I really see no down side, but was just wondering what everyone thought about them, there experiences and there benifits.

Thanks in advance.

yellowwatchmen
12/03/2007, 09:56 PM
I would do it. Perfect place for pods to grow. Grow macro algae which will lower nitrates and phosphates. I think every system should have some kind of fuge even if it is part of the sump a HOB or a separate tank or container.

teamdulski
12/03/2007, 09:59 PM
I see no reason not to. It would certainly eliminate your nitrate issues.

EDIT: Just noticed where you are.

BangkokMatt
12/03/2007, 10:55 PM
It can only be a good thing !
It will lower nitrates, grow pods, increase capacity, stabalise pH

01saleen
12/03/2007, 11:15 PM
It would would benefit you system greatly, keep it more stable, (PH &waste) and lower your nitrates. As long as you have a large enough refugium.

mg426
12/03/2007, 11:33 PM
I would have to agree that it is a very good addition to any system.

K' Family Reef
12/03/2007, 11:47 PM
i have a 125 w/ a 50gal dedicated display fuge i use xenia/chaeto for nutrient removal

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/WarrenAmyMadelinne/BESTfuge.jpg

when we upgrade to a 210
we intend to put either a 75 or 100 gal fuge attached to that system also... interesting seems having a fuge is almost becoming the 'norm' these days and w/ plenty of good reason!

macro will add many benefits to your system but if nitrate reduction is your only interest you might do a search here on RC about adding a simple RDSB - remote deep sand bed... which might take only about 20dollars in materials and probably less then an hour to hook up... have read many here on RC report they had great luck using these for nitrate removal

regards