PDA

View Full Version : Flow Dynamics in an SPS tank

ReefTECK
12/04/2007, 12:58 AM
Hey guys,

So my tank has been up and developing for a couple of years now, I've got the wet/dry filter outfitted with a Kent Nautilus EX24, a MRC CR-nano, approx 800gph return, I run ROWAphos and 1/2 cup carbon replacing it every two-three weeks, I feel like my filtration mecanisims are sufficient, some might say overkill.

Nonetheless, I have a hard time deciding if my waterflow inside the tank is adequate for keeping detrius in suspension, it seems like I get a lot of stuff settling out in the crevices, and a creepy, stringy, brownish algae that might be a species of cyanobacteria in places on the rock and sand.

To remedy this I have put a couple of MaxiJets back in the tank to supplement the 2 Tunze 6045's I have on opposite sides of the tank. I set a Maxi 600 toward the back of the tank to blow behind the rock structure, and a Maxi 1200 on a timer to keep a circular flo in the front section of the tank.

Here's an illustrated picture where the flow is dipicted with red arrows, circular streams comming off of the stream pumps and areas worst covered in detrius and algae/cyano are in green.

http://a181.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/37/l_abc954a0e631fe3ad838a1aa4d242b44.jpg

Can I rule flow inadequacy out? Could I possibly need more to keep the tank clean? Ideas? Questions? What piece of the puzzle is missing here?