PDA

View Full Version : Very narrow, single-bulb T5?

iwishtofish
12/04/2007, 09:13 AM
I am looking for a fixture that has just a single T5 (preferably HO) bulb and is only maybe 2" deep (front to rear) that can rest at the front edge of my tank. I have a 2-bulb fixture that is 4-1/2" deep, but it blocks too much light from my 150w MH pendant.

Does anyone know of any?

BeanAnimal
12/04/2007, 09:33 AM
The IceCap SLR reflectors are 2.5" That is about as small as you are going to get!

iwishtofish
12/04/2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks, BeanAnimal. Maybe I will have to figure out how to make a fixture.

I thought I saw one once at That Fish Place in PA (a really slim fixture) - even slimmer than the 2-bulb Current fixtures. Just can't remember who made it, and I haven't seen it in their online catalog. Could be I was imagining things.

jennmac415
12/04/2007, 10:31 AM
www.commodityaxis.com

Yellow Carpet
12/04/2007, 10:35 AM
i know that nova makes some small single bulb fixtures. might want to look into that.

Cheers,

Kurt

BeanAnimal
12/04/2007, 11:49 AM
They dont have reflectors and therefore will have a very poor output. Also I think the endcaps are glued to the bulb... that is you replace the "fixture" instead of the bulb.

You can easily buy the SLR and lampholders and DIY yourself legs for the lampholders. I am not sure how much of a finished look you are after, but I suppose you could have your local sheet metal shop build you an enclosure for the SLR as well.

iwishtofish
12/04/2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the link jennmac415 - these look interesting, too, for someone like me with a MH pendant who just wants to add some blue: http://www.current-usa.com/powerbrite.html

I think you are right, BeanAnimal, about the single T5 output. Maybe I'll get adventurous and make something.

Has anyone had any experience with the Current LEDs? Would they add sufficient actinic to a 29g tank, especially down deep?

DarG
12/04/2007, 02:16 PM
Hello Lights has T5 generic reflectors that I believe are 2 1/8" wide. Something based on that would probably be your best bet in terms of getting the most light from the slimmest space. The Helios throw away single light strips are wider and do not use the standard HO T5. The 4 foot long strips for example are 30 something watts, not 54. But if that's good enough, and you can go up to 2.5" they may be an option.