PDA

View Full Version : Life time of ich...

aqua_ed
12/04/2007, 01:46 PM
So ich took it's toll and wiped out all my fish (2 ocellarias). Does ich stay around in the tank? If so how long? Basically, how long before I can be assured that the ich is gone and new fish can be put in.
I realize that ich is mainly stress related, but better safe than sorry, I've lost enough fish.

Myrddraal
12/04/2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome to Reef Central!

From what I've read it seems that most people leave the tank fishless for 4-8 weeks, with the majority agreeing on 6 weeks as the soonest it's safe to add fish after ich.

jmchzn
12/05/2007, 08:41 PM
READ THE ARTICLES.! Ich is not stress related. Stress compromises the fish' immune system so it can't fight off the parasite. 6 weeks is the common school of thought but cysts have survived 72 days. ALL fish need to be QT'd. I'm facing this reality right now! I feel your pain but do the homework. I've been reading for 2 days straight. The answers are in the science not popular opinion. I'm dying here.
joe

tmz
12/05/2007, 09:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11323584#post11323584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmchzn
READ THE ARTICLES.! Ich is not stress related. Stress compromises the fish' immune system so it can't fight off the parasite. 6 weeks is the common school of thought but cysts have survived 72 days. ALL fish need to be QT'd. I'm facing this reality right now! I feel your pain but do the homework. I've been reading for 2 days straight. The answers are in the science not popular opinion. I'm dying here.
joe :) That's correct.