PDA

View Full Version : Will VHO's work?

MOsborne05
12/04/2007, 07:44 PM
I'm getting ready to set up a 45 gallon tank (36x12x24) and I don't know what lighting to get. I'd like to keep this tank pretty cheap to start out, until I get the hang of things, so I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks for a new lighting system just yet.

Right now I have an all-glass dual tube strip light, and I was wondering if I could just get two VHO bulbs for that light, or would I need to purchase a whole new light fixture. Would two 36" VHO bulbs be enough for the live rock? What about any low maintenance corals?

I'm getting a $5/hr raise in January, so I might look into purchasing a new light fixture then, but for now will this work???????????? Thanks :)

MMM33732
12/04/2007, 08:05 PM
VHOs will not work in a standard fixture, so you would need to change the ballasts in them in order to use VHO bulbs. two 36" standard tubes (what your fixture holds) would be enough for only caraline, but thats about it. coraline doest really need any specific light or high intensity light for that matter. if you ever plan to upgrade to corals, or light dependent inverts (anemones), then you would need more than just standard tubes.

pvtschultz
12/05/2007, 12:49 PM
VHOs will work in a standard fixture if you upgrade the ballast. That was my first setup over a 55 using the standard AGA dual light hood I swapped out the ballasts and ran it that way for the first year. The downside is that you'll have to clean the lamps off frequently to remove the salt spray. Check out www.hellolights.com for cheap DIY lighting supplies. THey even have very reasonable shipping charges.

Two VHOs will be enough for mushrooms, softies, and even Montis if they are kept up top close to the lights.

MOsborne05
12/05/2007, 01:06 PM
Ok thanks. I've been browsing for a used light fixture, and I found this.

Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights (Purchased February 2007) - $100.00

These are the lights for that strip:
Slimpaq 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps.

Length Total Watts # T-5 Bulbs # Lunar
Lights
36" 156 watts 4-39 watt 3

Is this a good deal? If I replace the ballasts and use VHO lights, I'm going to be spending about that much anyways.

pvtschultz
12/05/2007, 03:38 PM
I'm not personally into the whole T-5 thing, but AFAIK that is a good price.