PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank.....now What?

Brisbane Lion
12/04/2007, 09:40 PM
Hi

I have just introduced my first fish into my Q tank. As this is a first for me I have a few questions which probably will seem a little silly but if you don't ask you don't know I guess. With the intention of leaving this fish in the QT for about 6 weeks do I trewat automatically? Do I put it through a hypersalinity course automatically? Do I do anything in fact other than just observe it closely? Is the stress of eventually moving it from the QT to the display tank a factor? Please forgive my ignorance but all my reading ever refers to is about using the QT not what you do whilst the fish is in there.

Kind Regards

Brisbane Lion

tangafish
12/04/2007, 10:12 PM
there is several reasons for quarantine, obviously you dont want to introduce a potentially sick or infected fish into your main display tank (too hard to treat, too hard to catch later and if dies will polute your tank). The quarantine periods also allows you to make sure the fish is eating well and active.

It is much easier to treat the fish in quarantine if it does turn out to have some unwanted ailment and most medications are not reef safe.. i treat all of my fish when first put in quarantine, everyone's routine is different but i generally use lifeguard for a week, that pretty much covers all your bases. i am trying to try formulin out next time it is supposed to be good too.

i do keep mine in hyposalinity as well for the majority of the qt period when it gets close to time to move them into your main tank you just need to gradually raise the salinity to the same level as the main tank.