PDA

View Full Version : ich

Salmonking
12/04/2007, 10:56 PM
I know people think garlic is a cure for ick.Many years ago when reefs were just in early stage of hobby I read garlic is a cure for ich.I was going to market it but found out it was a wise tale.Talked to many profesional people before scrapping the idea.Garlic may intice eating but does not kill ich.Copper is the only cure.I dont want to see any fish die for no reason because of bad advice.EXSPERIMENTS IN LABS HAVE SHOWN GARLIC DOES NOT KILL ICH.The garlic people have even taken this claim off there labels.There are lots of articles proving this.I was a fish only guy that has had nearly every fish available to the market.My friend still has a 3000 gal.fish only with 40 large angels plus 100 tangs/butterflys ect.He nows his stuff to .Copper is the only thing he uses.

paulamrein
12/05/2007, 09:16 AM
I would make the argument that Hypo salinity can be added to the very short list of proven cures. Copper is extremely effective, but to say it is the one and only is a bit extreme. If it is for you, that is great. You have experience with it, and you know how to make sure you don't overdose. but, for MANY hypo is just as effective, and much safer.

MOTOR25
12/05/2007, 10:02 AM
i introduced velvet into my tank when i introduced a rock with xenia i had purchased at lfs,,i have used copper for years but decided to try hypo,,it is working great in qt and fish are very relaxed and eating well,,,this includes a powder blue tang. just my 2 cents worth.

MOTOR25
12/05/2007, 10:02 AM
i introduced velvet into my tank when i introduced a rock with xenia i had purchased at lfs,,i have used copper for years but decided to try hypo,,it is working great in qt and fish are very relaxed and eating well,,,this includes a powder blue tang. just my 2 cents worth.

waxy
12/05/2007, 03:01 PM
It helps fight ich, garlic helps build your immune system, just like how humans eat it, well we love eating it. Its healthy :D

Salmonking
12/05/2007, 09:37 PM
I am sorry hypo does work as well as copper.Bit more complicated .I use cupramine and find I have had more success then coppersafe.As for overdosing I find it is people that panick because they figure the parasites should dissapear instantly.It takes time.Biggest thing when treating with anything is take it slow and easy.

paulamrein
12/06/2007, 05:34 PM
Totally agree. I think that is the biggest downfall to this hobby. You spend a lot of money on an animal, the first thing everyone wants to do is put it in. I recently had my father in law come into town and it took everything in me not to rip all of my fish out of QT and put them on display to impress the ole' man. Glad I didn't, to not have to worry about parasites is worth the extra time and effort.