PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral questions

gkimble
12/05/2007, 12:16 AM
I am new to sps and have tried a trial 2 inch birdsnest frag and it is doing great. It is growing like mad. Branching off in all kinds of directions and really coloring up. Now I have a 40 gallon rimmless tank with a dimension of 36 x 18 x 13 Tall and it ill have one ocean light 250 watt pendent over top. Will have plenty of flow. and I keep my calcium around 460. Now What sps should I go to next? Caps? Acros? Digi? Chalice? Also is live aquaria divers den a good choice for buying sps frags online?
Farm grown or is wild cool? Just don't whant to spend a lot of money on a coral that is harder than heck to keep alive. Also I like to see the actual specimen I am buying or fraging from.

palawan
12/05/2007, 12:56 AM
Calcium, Mg,KH all important and so is temperature and salinity with all these stable you should have no problems with any sps. Sometimes the wild caught colonies don't fare too well, as frags or colonies from hobbyists tend to do better. As far as spending a lot of money on corals I think you'll be spending a lot of money on hardware also.

demonsp
12/05/2007, 01:15 AM
Diver den is a cool spot. How long has this tank been running?

gkimble
12/05/2007, 01:23 AM
Its been running for 5 months

demonsp
12/05/2007, 01:27 AM
If you get mostley SPS then just keep water readings low and at a consistant level for best results. I dont see anything listed under your profile.Wondering about your lighting,whats used for flow,water source, stock?

gkimble
12/05/2007, 02:01 AM
I have a aqua medic 250 watt MH with a 12k reeflux. Got a 475 gph return. 2 koralia 3's and a sieo towards the bottom of the tank to keep the sand free from algae. about 670 gph so two koralia 3 at 850 a piece so thats a total of 2845 GPH.
I need to dosomething for alk and calcium. Should I do a auto doser with limewater? or a calcium reactor. Prefer to stay away from a calcium reactors price tag.

gkimble
12/05/2007, 02:04 AM
OH and a octapuse 80 NW skimmer and I use a aqua FX 4 stage rodi unit. Stock includes a pair of ocelaris clowns.

demonsp
12/05/2007, 02:04 AM
Should be enough. I would think you could get any coral you wanted. And divers den has coral that divers get from reefs and will be more uniqe and in some cases unknown to alot of reefers.
Just have fun and be unique. GL

gkimble
12/05/2007, 02:26 AM
What should I do for calcium and alk levels calcium reactor or drip limewater nto my tank...

conorwynne
12/05/2007, 07:02 AM
Personally I would LOVE a calc reactor, but they are far too expensive and my DIY skills suck, really suck -- example, I put 68 holes in my kitchen ceiling trying to find the girders... to hanf two pendants, yes I used 4 of the holes in total... yes, laugh, enjoy...

Oh how my wife was amused...

I used to use 2-part, but now I use Salifert's All-in One.
I small squirt every day seems to keep the levels around 450ca, alk 10, mag I suppliment with Salifert's liquid magnesium -- it's approx 1400ppm

One of these days I'll splash out for a reactor.

Oh, in my auto top off, I have an air stone to keep mixing purple-up.
I don't know if its a good idea, but seems to be working well.

Any opinions of this lads?
Should I change to kalkwasser instead?

Regards
Conor.