PDA

View Full Version : Dosing into the system: tank + refugium?

dendro982
12/05/2007, 07:59 AM
The greedy me made the side sump for 20g Long tank (just another 5g tank) the refugium, to have the benefits of biodiversity and macroalgae with no water wasted.

Water from tanks enters the micron sock, and return pump, Mini-Jet 606, pushes it back to main tank.

Now have a problem with:
- dosing port for adding alkalinity and Mg supplements, and
- a place for keeping phosphate removing media and carbon with some flow through.

If drip - high concentration is made locally, what is not good. Dripping into high flow in the main tank - have a loss of tissue on one coral nearby. Could be coincidence, could be not.

And chemical media should be in the flow. If I put it into micron sock - it will become dirty in a couple of days, near the pump intake - not to much flow.

What can be done?

The options I see:
- power filter for chemical media (noise, even for quietest brands) ,
- container within refugium for pump - good for dosing, but not for chemical media,
- make chemical media reactor with additional pump (would like to keep it simple),
- eliminate refugium and use container as a sump.

Something better?
Thanks.

Agu
12/05/2007, 12:36 PM
My aquaclear is silent and a perfect place to drip kalk or add carbon. Plus it provides flow without heating the tank.

dendro982
12/06/2007, 07:32 AM
I have:
- AquaClear 30 and 50,
- Whiper: 10, 10 new, 20 new,
- DynaFlo 1,
- Liberty 200.
Only old Whiper 10 (2 yrs old) and DynaFlo 1 (same age) are quiet enough to sleep in the same room (residential area, not the traffic facing main street) :p

May be it's way to go, using the small power filters.
Any other opinions?