PDA

View Full Version : Filter Floss

pashazero
12/05/2007, 09:05 AM
I have put some filter floss is the 1st chamber of my 12 gal aquapod. How often should i change the floss and how should i place the floss in the 1st chamber? or should i just throw it in?

Aussie_hippie_2
12/05/2007, 09:30 AM
I don't change it. I didn't think you were supposed to. Isn't it's purpose an area for good bacteria to grow on? If I'm right, that would make changing it downright detrimental...

Rosseau
12/05/2007, 09:35 AM
I change mine about once a week. More or less depending on how active the tank has been (feeding, stirring of sand etc.).

I believe that if it isn't changed it will become a detritus trap and essentially allow nitrates to be produced.... though, I don't see how a filter floss surface is any different from detritus getting trapped in a corner of your tank and then "producing" nitrates.

nemofish2217
12/05/2007, 09:59 AM
i change mine every 4 days or so....the idea of the filter floss is not really to harbor good bacteria but rather to polish the water and remove waste. If you don't change the stuff fairly often, then the waste starts to break down and you have a nitrate factory. Pretty much the same but probably worse than bioballs when it comes to nitrates. you don't really need the filter floss for bacteria as your live rock and sand will accumulate plenty...assuming you have an adequate amount of both.

There really is no difference i don't think between what accumulates in the floss and in the corner of your tank. The key is to try to not allow the waste to build up in your tank by either syphoning it out or creating flow so that there are no "dead spots." You can also stir up the detrius so that it can be caught by the filter by squirting water with a turkey baster...

nemofish2217
12/05/2007, 10:00 AM
oh and you can pretty much just throw the stuff in...just make sure it is getting direct flow so you can maximize how much stuff you are catching...