PDA

View Full Version : Serpent Starfish

laniard
12/05/2007, 09:54 AM
Um, I got a serpent starfish over the weekend, and yesterday I realized it had wriggled itself through the lower outflow grate of the first chamber. I assume that if it can wriggle itself in it should be able to wriggle itself out, and to be honest I don't know of any way to get it out manually short of cutting that part of the chamber open...should I be concerned or not? :(

Illuminati
12/05/2007, 02:23 PM
Hope it gets lodged in there and dies, you don't want a serpent star in a 14g tank, they will strip your sandbed of life and can eat fish if hungry.

Or dig him out and return it.......

laniard
12/05/2007, 02:51 PM
When might I expect this life stripping frenzy to start? I mean, within a day of being placed in the tank he's hiding in one of the chambers. He hasn't touched the sand bed. :confused:

jdieck
12/05/2007, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11320734#post11320734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colinadam
Hope it gets lodged in there and dies, you don't want a serpent star in a 14g tank, they will strip your sandbed of life and can eat fish if hungry.

Or dig him out and return it.......
I think you might be confusing green brittle stars with serpent stars.
Serpent stars are really reef safe while brittle ones are as you mention a real headache. I had one that even started eating its own tentacles!

laniard
Try to tempt it out, offer it a small piece of cooked shrimp or scallop, she will come out to get it if it can dislodge itself. By the way they like to hide and stay away from the light.

laniard
12/05/2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks, jdieck - I will give that a try...I guess I may have to do it on an ongoing basis as it is the darkest part of the tank (that it can get to). :)