PDA

View Full Version : How long do PVC joins last?

lancer99
12/05/2007, 01:52 PM
I have some old bits of plumbing that I'd like to re-use on a new tank. The PVC bits were cleaned and bonded with some purplish glue, which I don't remember the name of....in 1991!

They never leaked in the 4-5 years they were used.

Am I safe re-using them?

Thanks,
-R

dzeadow
12/05/2007, 01:59 PM
I've lived in houses where plumbing was much older than that.. but you still might want to water test it somehow.

pvtschultz
12/05/2007, 03:53 PM
Purple glue? That should be the primer unless you're using something that I've never seen. THe glue dries clear. Once joined, the bond is PVC to PVC, the glue melts the plastic, it mixes together between the fittings, and then the glue evaporates leaving a permanent bond.

lizardarm
12/05/2007, 04:03 PM
You're probably safe, but PVC is generally pretty inexpensive so it might make you sleep better at night to just use new stuff.

stubble88
12/05/2007, 06:00 PM
There probably fine.
But I would just do new plumbing. Its cheap and its nice and clean.
I just switched to spa (pvc) hose. Eliminated all three of my 90 degree angles.

marspeed
12/05/2007, 08:31 PM
In my opinion not that it matters I find that pvc becomes brittle after about five or six years I never tried to find out why instead I am just careful when altering old pvc the newer dwv pvc has a foam type core and does not seem to have this problem

Newlin
12/05/2007, 09:53 PM
I agree with starting new. I just redid my tank and the 10' sticks of 1/2" are only 2.50 a stick. Fittings are only like $.50. But, to answer your question, it should be fine. The purple that you see is the primer that was put on there before the glue. The glue will disolve the primer and make it look purple.

What size it the pipe and is it sc.40? If so, it's thick enough to reuse. Just make sure that you pressure test it like said above.