PDA

View Full Version : starfish

brians4671
12/05/2007, 04:00 PM
what kind of starfish that can be used for cleaning substrate would be recommended for a small tank? my concern is the sand sifting star i have is too much bioload on my 30 gallon.

eaglesrx
12/05/2007, 04:16 PM
I've only ever seen and heard of these types of sand sifting stars: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=572

IMO, I think that a 30gallon tank is too small for a sand sifting star as it will deplete all of your amphipods and then slowly starve. However, in the end, it's up to you, no matter what anyone says.

They're great if you have a larger tank. I've seen some respected reefers have some to keep their sand stirred.

I personally like nessarius snails, tons of amphipods, and sea cukes to go through my sand as they don't eat amphipods and focus on leftover food (nessarius), algae (amphipods) and detritus (cukes/amphipods). Obviously, the cuke is for my next tank!!

Good luck on figuring out what to use. It will be good to hear what people say. I know a lot of people just use a diamond goby or something similar to go through their sand (they also eat up amphipods).

Hope this helps,

brians4671
12/05/2007, 04:23 PM
well there is a good possibility i may remove it. i considered one two spotted goby because of its small size and sifting. ive heard they dont do well unpaired.........