PDA

View Full Version : aquapod 24 filtration

kracker
12/05/2007, 06:22 PM
I just stumbled onto this site and from what I see there are some people here who realy know there stuff.I just recently set up my ap24.I have 25lbs of lr and 40lbs of ls.I upgraded the stock pump to the mj1200 and took out the blue sponges,bio balls,and ceramic media.I have all the grates closed except the top.I fabricated a shelf that holds a piece filter pad.The kind that is blue on top and white on the bottom.This setup imo just ain't cutting it.I have stuff floating all around my tank and it's driving me crazy.I was thinking about opening up all the vents and taking out the shelf I made and just fill the first chamber with filter floss.Seems to me like I would get beter filtration from the whole water colume.What do yall think?Thanks in advance....

Purple Penguins
12/05/2007, 06:44 PM
I have all my grates open, and the back chamber behind the grates I have a Phospad and behind that it is filled with filter floss, I also keep chemipure and purigen in my tanks, for extra water flow I have min jets hidden in my rockwork.

kracker
12/05/2007, 09:58 PM
Well i just opened all my grates.I think I will add a mj1200 to the first chamber via bulkhead.I already replaced the stock return pump with a mj1200 so that should give me some good flow.I have seen alot of people using the hydor flow.Any input on those versus the good ole locline thingy?

Ericksreef
12/06/2007, 04:39 AM
I have the top grate open the 2 blue pads in place with 2 bio balls .
The Deltec protein skimmer flows over the top blue pad .I get good surface skimming and clear water.

pashazero
12/06/2007, 08:51 AM
can you take a picture of the shelf you made for your filter floss?

Bmgrocks
12/06/2007, 09:56 AM
Use Chemi Pure Elite and An AC 70 Fuge, filled with Chaeto and LR Rubble on my 24 AP HQI, 12 AP HQI, and 10 and couldn't be happier, along with 2.5g WC's you won't have any problems. My Nitrates, Nitrites and Phosphates are always zero, only maintence is monthly trimming of chaeto, where i take about half the ball and throw it away. It also acts as a great detriment filter, catching debris and feeding the pods, worms, snails that live within the fuge..

The problem with filter floss is that if you don't replace it on a regular basis, it will build up nitrates, because of the detrius it holds begins to break down, destroying your water quality..

As long as you replace it, I would say everytime you do a WC, you shouldn't have a problem..

Buckeye ME
12/06/2007, 01:00 PM
Where did you get an adapter to fit the 1/2" MJ1200 outlet to the 3/4" stock hose/manifold outlet?

I can't find any 3/4" x 1/2" hose barb adapters.

dantonac
12/06/2007, 01:31 PM
In the box that your MJ came with there is an adaptor piece that allows the stock tube to fit. It doesn't fit real tight (at least mine doesn't), but it is close. From there use a plastic zip tie to cinch it down and trim the end off. Presto!

Actually I have read of some not using the adaptor included in the MJ box (they didn't know it was there) and the plastic zip tie was enough to hold it securely.