PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Butterfly

ta_lewis
12/05/2007, 06:28 PM
Guys,

I need you'll advice, my question is I'm thinking about buying a CB Butterfly, however what type of care do they require. To let you know a little about my setup. 90 gal Reef/fish setup:

Types of Fish:
Naso tang
Fiji Fox Fish (might be selling him)
Purple tang
Yellow watchman
Orange Stripe Cardinal
Green Chromis
Mated Pair of Clown Fish
Blemmy Firefish

Tang setup:
dart reeflow/ ocean motion 4-way
2 175 watt MH
4 vho setup.
Plenty of L.R. that can out of a tank that was 8yrs old.
30 gal sump w/ refugium
ASM G4+ Skimmer
Mag 7 return pump

Water Quality:
Cal: 420 - 440
DKH: 9-10
Nitraite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have plenty of corals my tank and they are doing great, will this guy work with what I currently have, and how hard are they to keep.

Please Advise.

steven_dean17
12/05/2007, 06:34 PM
I've never owned one but I've heard they don't live very long due to feeding and such.

mouscacha
12/05/2007, 06:36 PM
Butterfly fish in general are tough to feed. You need to make sure they are trained to eat brine or flake. All my butterfly fish have starved themselves into oblivian, or a meeting with a nice hungry crab :)

PJSEA
12/05/2007, 06:45 PM
As long as you find a specimen that is eating well, you should be OK.
The other concern is the Purple Tang. Putting it in a tank where it could be victimized by more agressive fish; especially it's not eating well, is asking for disaster.

bertoni
12/05/2007, 06:48 PM
I agree that copperband butterfly fish are very touchy. Also, I think the system is fairly heavily stocked as is.

JamesJR
12/05/2007, 07:10 PM
I would be hesitant to add such a touchy fish like a cbb to a tank with an established purple tang. I wouldn't risk it.

hanas
12/05/2007, 07:25 PM
The Purple Tang will most likely bully the CB, at least enough to discourage them from eating. I have a CB in my tank, but I added him before my tang.

One food my CB loves, and actually was the first it accepted, was Piscine Energetics Mysis.

poppin_fresh
12/05/2007, 08:25 PM
I'm 0/2 on CBBs. I tried everyhting to get them to eat...nothing worked. Its too bad, because they are beautiful fish, but they're just to tough to keep alive.

CoppBandbuttfly
12/06/2007, 10:01 AM
I have two copperbands(a mistake that I listen to the LFS). The one in tank are doing good, except he eats only frozen brine shrimp, not even dried brine shrimp even though both look the same once in water and they are both from same brand name.

I did buy him first before I added other fishes, like Naso and Powder Brown tangs, emperor angel. The emperor angel will chase him sometimes but it's not a main issue.

The other one I put it in the sump right now(still thinking where to it for long term). It ate flakes before I bought it from the LFS. But once I bought him it eats only frozen brine shrimp, like the one in my tank.

Like the other said, they are very beautiful but they are very picky in food. I do agree the most important thing is : make sure it eats in the fish store and it is very active and healthy before you buy it. This is almost always true for any fish you buy.

Tahlequah
12/06/2007, 10:16 AM
Another thing to consider is, even if it is eating now it could stop eating in a month to 3 months. I had mine for abour 3 months then it stopped eating, couldnt even get it to eat live brine...

K' Family Reef
12/06/2007, 11:01 AM
here is a recent thread on the CBB

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1240712

perusing thru RC
you will find the success rate (especially long term) w/ this fish is not a very good one... for any number of reasons...

have one on hold at LFS
and am purchasing (not only for its grace/beauty) but to help control the aiptasia in our system... hoping that by leaving aiptasia in my fuge/ sump area (aiptasia are good filters too) then they will continue to provide food for the CBB in main display - in addition to or provided it doesnt eat frozen food

good luck if you decide to get one
and i encourage you to research all you can to be sure your making an 'edubacated' choice in adding this fish to your system!

regards

CoppBandbuttfly
12/06/2007, 02:25 PM
I must consider very lucky since mine (both) are still alive and doing good, even the one in my sump! What exactly is aiptasia? Can someone send a picture to show me how it look like? I did read from Drs. Foster & Smith that CBB loves aiptasia, and that's why they have the long mouth. I wonder how I can provide aiptasia to mine If my tank does not have it?

After reading all comments I kind of worry now as to how long mine can last....CBB is my number 1 favorite fish(that's why my registered name here is CBB)