PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions...

dennis_sage
12/05/2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe this should go in the "new to the hobby" forum but since I have a RSM I thought I would give it a shot here!

I've had my tank cycling for 9 weeks now and have had my cleanup crew in place for five-six weeks (snails, a couple emerald crabs, some hermits). I do a five gallon water change every week or so. I've followed the usual RSM steps..cut back on the black sponge, used the Bio starter that came with the kit.

My question is about ammonia. I do have live rock which had been at the LFS for at least a month. As I mentioned, I have been running for 9-10 weeks now. I've lost a few cleanup crew along the way but I don't have anything dead in the tank that I know of. The rest of the crew seems quite happy.

I can never get down to that elusive 0. The ammonia level seems to be somewhere between .25 and 0 (but not at 0) for the last month and hasn't changed.

Is this a problem with the testing kit (I'm using the one that came with the RSM)? Is there something I need to do differently?

Thanks for all your help.

Illuminati
12/05/2007, 11:23 PM
Have you been doing a waterchange since the start? If so that might explain it, maybe your interupting the cycle.
I would leave it for another 2 weeks, no water changes just top off evaporated water and check your reading again.

Aquatic Reef is an LFS in your area, West Dundee, they are actually closing. I would go there this weekend and get a good Ammonia test kit as it could be a false reading. API or Salifert are good ones. Sho Tank in Mundelin on Route 45 would also have some on hand. You could probably take a water sample there and see if they will test it.

So basically I would test your water with another test kit first. If it's still present then leave it for 2 weeks and retest and see where you are.

Illuminati
12/05/2007, 11:26 PM
Also here is a link to a local club forum, a great place to ask questions and there are deals to be had when you get ready to stock.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1265407