PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor issues

Sangogo
12/05/2007, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,

Since I know most of you guys import your equipment, I wanted to ask about calcium reactors. Marine Depot had a well-priced set and I purchased this and had it sent over.

One problem. I can't seem to find a place to fill the CO2 gas tank. I'm being told that all aquarists here use tanks that they trade in every few months, rather than filling a tank they actually own.

I REALLY don't want to use a Japanese gas tank, as that means I'd probably have to buy a Japanese regulator set, which costs like 3 times more than the set I bought from MD. Not to mention that returning all this stuff will be a pain in the ***. :(

Could you guys let me know what you do with your calcium reactors? Thanks.

Sango-chu
12/07/2007, 12:53 AM
I went to a friend in the restaurant business and asked him if I could borrow one of his Coca Cola CO2 bottles that they usually get for free because they use the Coca Cola product. I just atttached it tio the regulator from the U.S. adn BAM! CO2 on moving. I am assuming that the fitting is un iversal. I would take the regulator with you first though and try it out on one of their empty bottles.

Another way way is to rent, which is what I will be doing in the future because I don't want to continue to impose on the current friendship. You can rent a bottle from the same people that sell Acytelene (?) for welding and Oxygen for the hospitals or dentist shops. They wanted 10,000 yen deposit for the bottle and then 2,500 for refills.

Just a thought...

Sangogo
12/07/2007, 01:18 AM
Actually, US fittings and Japanese fittings are different, so I am getting an adapter made and will be using the Japanese food-grade CO2. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone to fill my US grade tank.

Sango-chu
12/07/2007, 06:03 PM
Guess I'm lucky. Sorry that you have to go thru great lengths to get this done, but the results are worht it...and the experience - invaluable