PDA

View Full Version : concerned about copper?

NanoReefWanabe
12/06/2007, 07:39 AM
i have just made a new batch of frag plugs and a couple DIY rocks from the threads on here...i used modified bottle nipples for the plugs...

now i have to cure them...

people say use the back of your toilet for curing small iems such as plugs..

LOL well i made 50 of them..i hope they fit...

my concern is with all the copper piping leading to the toilet is there any chance of the plugs absorbing trace amounts of copper along the way? that would taint the tank water?

with that said..my local water has hardness of 16...so i am assuming it has high amounts of chlorine(can smell it sometimes), magnesium(orange stains in my dishwasher), and god only knows what else...

is there any other way to go about curing them?

can i sit them in the 3' of snow we just got? or use melted snow for a source and just change it every couple days? there is certainly no shortage around here..

help please people...i gots some fraggin to do.. and need some plugs...i am running out of LR rubble..

skhle
12/06/2007, 10:58 AM
If you have RODI put them in the waste water side, that water gone through filters, carbon, etc.., if not then the toilet is fine you only leave them in short time.

kgross
12/06/2007, 12:50 PM
The amount of copper that leaches from the lines should be very very small So using the toilet should not cause a problem. They will not absorb enough copper to cause any problems. The amount of copper in that water should be way less than .001 ppm and the rocks will have a hard time concentrating that copper. Now if you were replacing all of your top off water with some with .001 ppm copper you could have a problem after a year or two.

kim