crazykrammm
12/06/2007, 07:39 AM
how many fish can you have in a 29gal oceanic cube

jamiep
12/06/2007, 07:42 AM
Depends on the fish! What are you thinking? I have a thirty and plan 4 fish Max

crazykrammm
12/06/2007, 07:59 AM
i have six line clown sleeper golbie and shrimp golbie. but i would live to get the shrimp one out. but i have no way to catch him he never comes out.

Sk8r
12/06/2007, 10:20 AM
Keep him and get him a shrimp and a mate. That will fill up your tank and make him much more courageous about coming out to entertain you. If a yellow watchman, he's probably afraid of the sleeper, but a tiger pistol shrimp would make him braver. If a highfin, he's probably still intimidated. A candy cane pistol would encourage him. These pairs are very species-specific, but the behavior of a matched pair is much braver and entertaining to watch.

dsn112
12/06/2007, 10:21 AM
Everyone on here has a different opinion on how many. If you can keep up on waterchanges, Id day 4-6 very small fish.

It all depends on how much time you have to work on it. If you are the type to get lazy if things are ok, and skip the weekly/byweekly changes than go 3 or 4.

Also pick fish that wont be territorial since the tank is small, gobies, clowns, wrasses.

crazykrammm
12/06/2007, 10:31 AM
i have the Pink-Spotted Shrimp Goby or Pink-and-Blue-Spotted Goby. what shrimp do they adapt to?

snatchbak
12/06/2007, 10:55 AM
well i have 6 fish in my bio29 but maybe thats too much. Ive got 2 percs, 1 bullet goby, 1 royal gramma, 1 buddha cardinal, and a blue hippo. All the fish seem relaxed and everything looks okay but maybe its too much bio-load. I'm thinkin about taking the goby out.

MalHavoc
12/06/2007, 10:56 AM
I have a 24 gallon aquapod and the only fish I'm keeping in it are a pair of percs. High bioloads mean more maintenance headaches, nutrient problems, and water changes. The idea is to relax and enjoy your tank, not do two or three water changes a week because you wanted an extra fish :)

killagoby
12/06/2007, 10:57 AM
I kept a FP Clown and a Fridmani Psudo in my 29 gallon...

Sk8r
12/06/2007, 11:02 AM
I did a little searching on ask.com for you.

http://www.startsurfing.com/encyclopedia/s/n/a/Snapping_shrimp.html

I'm betting that the tiger pistol will get along with this guy. The candy canes are quite small; the tiger pistol is more robust, [mine is now pushing 2", shaped like a lobster] and gets along with the yellow watchman---to whom your pink-spotted is very similar.

The pink-spotted, like the yellow, is a bit pugnacious, and mating him now might be hard, so I would say just get him the tiger shrimp...he should take up with it in short order and start coming out. Don't despair if his first home is facing the wrong direction and you can't find him. They start moving around, making many burrows as they get bolder, if he's anything like the yellow, and he will get on the long side of 2" and fat as he matures...in which case he will get very cheeky.

Gobies that might fit your tank additionally---the highfin redstripe, a pair of them: small, but in a goby tank, can get pretty brave about coming out. I have 3 and they're pretty cheeky with no big fish to intimidate them. Alternatively, I'm looking at the tangaroa goby [Foster/Smith]---though I don't know a thing about their habits, I'm assuming they're a lot like the highfins. There are some other guys like the pink bar that look interesting.

Gobies in general: I'd say you could get 2, maybe 3 more, with the tiger pistol, if you stick to critters like the highfins or their like, that have very skinny bodies and only get 2" long max. They're shy, but personable once they see another goby out and about: courage is catching, and if your watchman gets brash, they will too.

Alternatively, one of the smaller blennies like the bicolor. Busy, funny [mine, of 10 years ago, lived in a snail shell and darted out to forage.] Relatively non-aggressive, though blennies are more so than gobies.

I keep one chromis, to keep the tank stirred up: more than one, they'll fight, but one tiny chromis might fit in if you got the bicolor.

At most, I'd say a couple more fish, maybe three if they're very small. If you go blenny, I'd get a chromis for color and stop there.

dsn112
12/06/2007, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11327002#post11327002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snatchbak
well i have 6 fish in my bio29 but maybe thats too much. Ive got 2 percs, 1 bullet goby, 1 royal gramma, 1 buddha cardinal, and a blue hippo. All the fish seem relaxed and everything looks okay but maybe its too much bio-load. I'm thinkin about taking the goby out.

Bio load is the issue with too many fish in a small tank. Maintenence is key!

The other issue is the fish. Any kind of tang in a small tank is not a good idea no matter how small, they grow to large and like to be able to swim around. I would give that hippo to someone with a 75g or larger.

Sk8r
12/06/2007, 11:48 AM
Definitely the hippo needs to go out. Their max adult size is 18 inches. Also his appetite will overload the carrying capacity and oxygen capacity of the tank. His name comes from his adult size.