PDA

View Full Version : Noisy 9010?

apache73
12/06/2007, 12:01 PM
I am trying to figure some possible means/techniques for making my 9010 skimmer less noisy. I am running the in-sump configuration. Water exits this skimmer from three different locations. Two where the skimmer cup joins the main body of the unit. And one stronger stream exits from the body itself. I here constant water dribbling noises from these exits. The water level in my sump is about 1/4" below the max water line visually marked on the skimmer. Any suggestions, hints, or mods to quiet this thing down?

Thanks!

G

rvitko
12/06/2007, 02:12 PM
Does any water exit the stand pipe? It sounds like it is noisy because water is backed up inside to the point it is being pulled into the air intake. Do you have a photo? It should be virtually silent. At most a small trickle should exit from where the top of the skimmer clips on to the main body.

apache73
12/06/2007, 02:41 PM
Roger,

There are two holes where the skimmer cup meets the skimmer body. One hole (diameter) is slightly bigger than the other. Water is coming out of each hole. I would say in my own limited estimation that the water is more than just "trickling" out of each hole. Also, today I noticed more than usual amount of micro bubbles comeing out of the unit.

Thanks,

G

rvitko
12/06/2007, 02:50 PM
Water should not be coming out of those holes, those are air intake holes and also for connection of ozone. Something is hooked up wrong. The most obvious error that comes to mind is the blue sponge, it most be below the top of the stand pipe.

rvitko
12/06/2007, 02:52 PM
Just to clarify, water should only exit two places- the hole in the back and the stand pipe. A small trickle from where the top piece meets the square tube is OK but under no circumstances should the water column be up so high that water is coming out of the air intakes.

apache73
12/06/2007, 03:06 PM
Roger,

Water is coming out of 4 places. The stand pipe (though not alot like a typical needle wheel skimmer, the sponge is below the top of the pipe. Both holes where the skimmer cup mates to the body. And the exit from the side off the main skimmer body (with alot of flow). The skimmer sits in my sump and the water lever is roughly 1/4" below the water illustration marked on the skimmer body.

Help! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

G

apache73
12/06/2007, 03:16 PM
Roger,

Water is coming out of 4 places. The stand pipe (though not alot like a typical needle wheel skimmer, the sponge is below the top of the pipe. Both holes where the skimmer cup mates to the body. And the exit from the side off the main skimmer body (with alot of flow). The skimmer sits in my sump and the water lever is roughly 1/4" below the water illustration marked on the skimmer body.

Help! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

G

rvitko
12/06/2007, 03:17 PM
The water level may be too high, with the sump kit, the water line is irrelevant. The water just needs to be between 4-10" deep. It may also be that the pipe is pushed in to the skimmer too far, you may just need to pull the elbow back a hair so more water can exit the elbow. If it is in too far it restricts the flow. The water flow out of the pipe is not a torrent, it is a fairly even stream cascading down through the sponge.

apache73
12/06/2007, 03:34 PM
Roger,

The elbow being pushed in too far was the culprit! Soon as I backed it out a abit the skimmer quieted down. Much more water is coming out of the standpipe and the water that was streaming out of the larger diameter hole went from a steady stream to barely a trickle.

Thanks!

G

P.S. In order to raise the skimmer up to around 10 inches or less I am going to need to mount the unit from the four suction cup points mounted on the one side versus the bottom. Is there any issues with doing this arrangement?

salinity
12/06/2007, 04:24 PM
Where does the hole form the ozone nipple lead to inside the skimmer?

rvitko
12/06/2007, 04:39 PM
That is not so easy to explain. Basically the air comes in behind the screw, the bottom of the skimmer cup to the water surface forms a small chamber where the air is drawn into through the two nipples on the side. The large one is for air only, with the small one you can inject ozone and it will be taken in through the air inlet hole from that chamber.

salinity
12/06/2007, 05:07 PM
Excellent, that does help explain that portion of the skimmer for me.

Thanks.

apache73
12/06/2007, 06:33 PM
Roger,

Is there any concerns with leaving the skimmer in the sump config but suction to the side of my sump so that I can raise the skimmer up abit?

Thanks!

G

rvitko
12/06/2007, 07:23 PM
If it is working now I wouldn't worry about raising it. The bottom really should be supported, if it needed to be raised I would place a piece of eggcrate under it.