PDA

View Full Version : Need 10 Gal Office Nano Ideas

DidYouSayReefer
12/06/2007, 02:32 PM
I have got the OK from the boss to keep a small tank. I need some help with stocking ideas. I need to keep expenses down so I will use as much of my left overs from my reef as possible. Once I decide on the plan I will start a build thread for all to see.

Parameters to work with-
-Few water changes. I won't have a lot of time so there has to be a very small bio load. I will maybe do a 2 gallon WC 1-2 times per month. I will bring fresh saltwater from home to do the changes.

-Small built in fuge with chaeto, active carbon, and small heater. No skimmer!

-2 24watt T5s with individual reflectors. 1 9watt fuge light.

-Small pump to pull water from tank into the fuge. I have a 300gph Quiet One but that migh be big. I could split the return with 4 heads by that might still be too much. I might just have to buy a small pump. 150-200gph should be good.

-1-2 inch sand bed from my reef at home.

-5-10 lbs of live rock.

What to Stock?

I was thinking 1 leather, zoas, and shrooms. Some crabs, snails.

What I don't know is what fish if any? This will be nutriet rich water so I have to have something small and hardy.

Any input and ideas would be apprcieated. Anyone else have a tank simailar to this? Thank you.

derf9h
12/16/2007, 09:28 AM
Here is mine, it's a 15 gallon aga.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1238803

Erick

junkitu
12/16/2007, 10:30 AM
I have an office nano and it's definitely improved my quality of life at work. Here are a couple things to consider:

Does your office turn off the heater/ac at night and on the weekends? If so, you'll need a chiller and maybe even a temp controller to regulate temps. I know you're trying to keep costs down but it will save you time, money, and frustration in the long run.

As for stocking, I wouldn't recommend a leather for such a small tank. Leathers grow quickly. They may also secrete toxins as a defense mechanism, which could have an amplified effect on other livestock in a 10g tank. I've had several in my 24g and have had to remove some of them as they outgrew the tank.

I'd suggest sticking with zoas, palys, rics, mushrooms, and easy to keep LPS like plate and candycane coral.

Best of luck. If you're interested, you can click the little red house icon above to check out my tank thread and read more about thngs I've learned with my office nano.