PDA

View Full Version : Cure for shy Fire shrimp?

pashazero
12/06/2007, 03:41 PM
I have a very shy fire shrimp that just hides in the same place for most of the time behinde a rock and I rarely get to see it. How can i cure its shyness?

pashazero
12/06/2007, 03:43 PM
sorry it posted three times for some reason..

pasha

kathainbowen
12/06/2007, 03:53 PM
S'ok, it happens. Of the two most common shrimp for their cleaning behavior (the skunk and the fire), the fire shrimp is by far the shier animal (although, the fire shrimp is far bolder than the nocturnal peppermint shrimp).

If it's a recent addition, the fire shrimp may just need time to adjust and settle in to your tank. Offer some frozen meaty foods and give it time, and it may come out.

If it's an animal you've had for a while (say, more than a few months), you may want to rethink your rock arranging to allow for more open but shady spaces to allow the shrimp to feel secure, such as offering overhangs, large caves, or rock outcroppings for the shrimp to hang out under. While I'm most assuredly not the first person to figure this out, I discovered this first with peppermint shrimp when the shop I worked at started using more of what we were affectionately calling "terraces" or "stonehenges" for coral stock tanks, as well as the eggcrate shelving.

Capt_Cully
12/06/2007, 04:03 PM
I think it'd be like getting me to not like beer.

fire shrimp, in my experience are shy reclusive critters that will perk up when food is available then retreat. I'd heard they'd be more bold in a pair or more, but my experience was that I had 2 shy fire shrimps.

i think thry're beautiful and enjoy keeping them regardless of the fact that I see them about once a day.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

pashazero
12/06/2007, 04:12 PM
yeah i had one before and he started shy, but started walking around like he owned the place after a week in my old tank.. but this new dude is just chillin between the back glass and a rock.. and does not come out at all so I am getting nervous..

dendro982
12/07/2007, 09:56 AM
Low light, low traffic place, 1-2 caves to hang in, visible from the front, some hang-over to hide under it, and being the biggest animal in the tank helps.
The light red slim ones are more open, than stocky dark red.

kar93
12/07/2007, 10:29 AM
when i first got a fire he hid for about 2 months just came out every now and then to take some frozen brine when feeding. After that he often comes out of his rock