PDA

View Full Version : Another Led Dimmer

Donw
12/06/2007, 05:30 PM
I have 12v leds embeded under the gutters for up lighting on my zeroedge that have yet to be connected. I ordered this.
http://www.theledlight.com/pdf/controls/4amp_dimmer.pdf

Now if I desolder the pot. Find 8 different spots on the pot and measure resistance. Could I just use one of my 8 relay controllers with a simple resistors matching the measured spots on the pot???????????

Depending on which relay was on or what variety of relays were on the theory would be it would be a simple led dimmer. This way I have full PWM control over the lighting sunset/sunrise or just mood lighting for the av system.

Thanks Don

pista01
12/07/2007, 10:00 AM
I bet that would work quite well. I'll probably do the same using a 1-wire DS2408.

BeanAnimal
12/07/2007, 11:56 AM
Don what are you using for control? You idea should work, but the details are kind of mucky.

Remeber that series resistance add, parallel resistance divides. It may be much easier to drivve a motorized pot. You could use a digital pot, depending on the circuit.

Donw
12/07/2007, 03:34 PM
I'm waiting on the pwm dimmer to come ups. I took some ratshack resistors last night 1k thru 5K and wired them to the relays output then to the lights. It worked just fine as is with the resistors but I'm still going to use the pwm dimmer when it gets to me.
Basicly I have a applied digital secu16 with 8 relays controlled by an ocelot. I can do what ever I want with the relays. Sunset sun rise. I just coded it to taper over time and added a mood light trigger of my IR system so when the dvd play button is hit the Leds will go full bright and the living room lights go off. Pretty cool if you like that sort of thing. I also set a trig off the feeding timer so that when I want to feed at 5am before work the leds will go full bright while the return pump is off for 15 minutes. I can pretty much do anything with the ocelot, it just takes a sick mind to come up with the wierd ideas. The implemtation is very simple, no electronics backgound needed.

Don

BeanAnimal
12/07/2007, 05:24 PM
Ahh your still using the ocelot! I forgot about that. I never did buy one. I still kick the idea around once in a while. I am really into this AVR thing. The problem is that I am used to coding for big beefy windows machines, not little micros with limited resources!

Donw
12/07/2007, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11337079#post11337079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Ahh your still using the ocelot! I forgot about that. I never did buy one. I still kick the idea around once in a while. I am really into this AVR thing. The problem is that I am used to coding for big beefy windows machines, not little micros with limited resources!

For the money I dont think they can be beat. I havent found anything that I couldnt make it do in one way or another. I just found out this morning the the IR output is PWM and that you can just sent a constant IR signal out to something and get full PWM of just about anything. I'm going to have my brother do a little homework and see what he can come up with.

Don

H20ENG
12/07/2007, 05:57 PM
so when the dvd play button is hit the Leds will go full bright and the living room lights go off.

...and the heart shaped bed comes out of the wall and the disco ball starts glittering.

Giggety Giggety:D

Love it Don.

Donw
12/07/2007, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11337286#post11337286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H20ENG
...and the heart shaped bed comes out of the wall and the disco ball starts glittering.

Giggety Giggety:D

Love it Don.

Ya right Ive been married more than 20 years, nuf said.

I do like mixing the system together just because I can. I recently coded the sprinkler to shut down when ever the rodi turns on. Then it times how long the rodi was on and adds that back to the sprinkler so the yard gets the water its supposed to. This eliminates the need for the booster pump since it only ran when the sprinklers were on any ways. I also put in two more sediment cartriges with a pressure switch. So when the main ones plug up the rodi bypass to the secondary and flashes the laundry room lights on and off to tell me to get off my butt and change the filters. Man I do some wierd stuff, just cant figure out why.:)

Don

H20ENG
12/07/2007, 07:18 PM
Great thinking Don. I had thought about only running my RO/DI at night when there is not much draw on the city booster station.
But your bypass and flashing lights are fun:)