PDA

View Full Version : torts?

Drake1
12/06/2007, 11:08 PM
how difficult are torts to keep in a sps tank? i have never had any but have seen alot of post where people didn't have success but most of them were under 2 year tanks
thanks jeff

dots
12/06/2007, 11:26 PM
I would say that they are your average SPS in terms of difficulty, if not on the easy side. If your not sure, try a Cali tort or the ORA Tort which is the same piece. Its quite common and plentiful nowadays.

crazedreefer
12/06/2007, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11332369#post11332369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
I would say that they are your average SPS in terms of difficulty, if not on the easy side. If your not sure, try a Cali tort or the ORA Tort which is the same piece. Its quite common and plentiful nowadays.

My cali tort and ORA are completely different, in color and growth pattern...Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but could you provide some info. on this...thanks.

dots
12/07/2007, 03:10 AM
Somewhere there is another thread detailing it from a few years back, but those take a little time to dig up. In lieu of that:

Go to Tyrees site, go to the Becker Tort, and read it. This is the first half of the story.

From old exotic reefs website:

"The original piece was imported by Bob Mankin of Coral Farms as a Soloman Island farmed frag and was bought by Chris Schweb who then proceeded to distribute it to the likes of Shawn Bennett, Robert Dalton, and including ORA who now also farms it. "

I know its not much, but the best I can do for now. Can anyone add to this?

sin05_omar
12/07/2007, 03:13 AM
Torts are reasonably easy to keep.. they do quite well with subdued lighting... but its best to let it bask under the full strength of the halide to let it blossom to its full potential

dots
12/07/2007, 03:19 AM
Try this one:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278643&highlight=ORA+and+Cali+tort+lineage

crazedreefer
12/07/2007, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11333008#post11333008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
Try this one:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278643&highlight=ORA+and+Cali+tort+lineage

Thanks...still hard to believe cause they look so much different and grow completely different, I mean not even close...LOL.

Canarygirl
12/07/2007, 01:09 PM
crazedreefer, could you post pics of your two? I'd be really interested in seeing them. I have the ORA/Cali...one of them. :rolleyes: