PDA

View Full Version : The big delima

sloburn
12/06/2007, 11:08 PM
I have spent the past few days going over the new thank thread and it had some terrific information.

I am in my planning stage. I was planning on just doing a 75 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. But I came across someone localy that has a 125 gal. reef ready tank with stand, canopy, wet/dry sump, mag return pump, heater, skimmer and lights for 550. I know this is a killer deal and I am thinking really hard about going this route. This will be my first reef tank. So I guess I want your alls opinion on my plan.

What do you guys suggest I go with, being it is my first reef tank?

My biggest concern is start up cost on a 125 gallon. I was thinking of buying a certain amount of live sand and use the play sand that you can buy for the rest. I have also thought about buying maybe 50 or 75 lbs of live rock and getting dry rock for the rest. How long does it take for the non live rock to grow to living rock. I do not mind waiting for a little extra time before I start adding fish to the tank. I have not even started began to research on what fish and coral I am going to put in. Last question, I have tried to find information on amount of fish can be put into a tank per gallon and what not? Of course I am like everyone else i want my aquarium to be full of beautiful swimming fish but at the same time I want to do what is right by the fish. THanks for your alls help.

Kevin

burks
12/06/2007, 11:55 PM
Don't worry about finding a number of fish per gallon rule. For freshwater there is the 1" per gallon rule but that breaks down very quickly. Decent guideline but eh....

What kind of lighting comes with the 125? If it's just the regular T-8's then you'll have to factor in a couple hundred bucks for lighting for corals. The deal doesn't sound too bad though!

Start by finding some fish you like and what corals you want. Doesn't have to be specific corals but stuff like SPS, LPS, etc. That way you can either pick your fish around your corals or corals around your fish. Personally I'm a coral fan so corals first and fish second for me.

With a 125g your fish choices are pretty broad. It's all a matter of personal taste really. If you want, you can make a list of what you'd like and post it up. We can then help you go from there!

As for the rock idea, that's a common move to make. At $5+ a pound live rock can get pricey very quickly. Just remember that fish load is all dependent on how much actual live rock you have in your tank. Going from dry to live rock I *think* takes about 3 months (please correct me if I am wrong). I'd still play it safe and very slowly add fish around that time. Better safe than sorry ya know.

tmz
12/07/2007, 12:06 AM
If it were me I'd go with the larger tank.
You really have several months of cycling to do before getting fish. Many will try to push that along but it's not a wise thing to do.Don't be in a hurry.enjoy the process.The tank will be full before you know it.
Use those months to study up on the fish you like. It's not really about inches per gallon but more about the needs of each individual specimen and it's compatibility with the others. Develop a plan for introducing the fish you wan't. Who goes in first can be very important. Some need soft sand. Most need resting places they can claim as their own.
Probably the best advice you can get at this stage to avoid tremendous losses and disappointment is to invest in a second tank to serve as a quarantine tank for all new specimens and to study up on qt mentods and treatments for marine fish ailments particularly marine ich.
Welcome to the hobby.

burks
12/07/2007, 12:16 AM
Tmz makes a good point I forgot to address. You will have a good amount of time to wait while the tank cycles. This can be time for you to save up money to buy more equipment and such. It's what I'm doing for my frag vat.

Any questions you have don't be afraid to ask. Hey, at one time I asked if live rock needed light to grow!

A QT tank is a great idea that many people, including myself, do not use. In the long run it will pay for itself. I've just been really lucky.

Deb91
12/07/2007, 12:49 AM
Kevin, I think that is an awesome deal! If you but in 75 lbs. of live rock and the rest base rock at the same time, plus live sand I think it will cycle in about 4 to 6 weeks.Don't forget a ro/di unit. Filter Guys sells one for around $135.00.I don't know if you have a heater or not but I think that is all you need for now,plus a raw shrimp from the grocery store to cycle your tank! Have fun and good luck!!!!! :)

meco65
12/07/2007, 01:18 AM
Wow great deal, myself I would go with the bigger tank. The used tank being $550 and having all the equipment will save you enough money that you could pay for the extra LR/LS. If you figure in the cost of the 75gal+sump+skimmer+return Pump+lights+all the other stuff you will save money and get a lot bigger tank. As long as the 125 is in good shape I dont see how you could go wrong.

Avi
12/07/2007, 06:40 AM
I spent a whole year before I set up my reef, reading, learning and planning. And, I decided to start with a 120-gallon reef. I'd agree that if the stuff is in good shape, go with the 125. If you're an avid reef/fish/coral buff, you'll be immeasurably happier with the larger tank. Of course, it will cost you a good deal more. Like burks up there said, lighting is very important and depending on what comes with the deal, you may be fine but if not, you'll be spending from, probably, $440 or so to even $900 on lighting if the lighting the 125 comes with isn't adequate for your needs. Also, be sure that the skimmer that it comes with is a good one and you won't have to replace it right away with a more effective one. The rock will also cost a good amount so these are some considerations that should go into your decision.

But, once again, the larger the tank, the more satisfaction you'll get, IMO, and if you can handle the expenses then that's the way to go.

saltysteven
12/07/2007, 09:26 AM
get the bigger tank if in good shape

sloburn
12/09/2007, 06:47 PM
I think I am going to go with the big tank. My plan is to get it get it set up and while it is cycling purchase my lighting a little bit at a time There is some lighting with it that is not that great but should be enought to cycle it.