PDA

View Full Version : 33g long overflow help

sayn3ver
12/06/2007, 11:53 PM
hi, i am currently debating on my next course of action. I was copying another members tank setup and modifying it a little bit to suit my needs.

This is the tank (halophila's beautiful setup) I was attempting to copy with a 33g long.
http://*******.com/6nw2fo.jpg

Instead of the basket of live rock and filter floss, i was planning on having that area be the overflow with a drain and return bulkheads on the bottom. I drilled and installed the bulk heads as planned(a 1inch drain and a 3.4in return about 2 inches in from the end), but realized I will now be able to see through the hole i cut in the stand top(which allows the plumbing to pass through) down into the stand where the sump + fuge will be. This did not cross my mind but i am planning on running the fuge on a reverse light cycle. The problem is this is in my bedroom, and I will now be able to see the light coming up from underneath as I try to sleep.

So my next question is, before I go ahead with siliconing in the glass overflow/baffle) could I not do an overflow at all and just hide the drain and return in live rock by drilling the rock to allow for the pvc? If so, what type of drain is best (durso, that new fangled modified durso, etc?).

Also, does cement stick to pvc?

sayn3ver
12/07/2007, 01:30 AM
I did some searching and found the stand pipe I'd like to try to implement, which is the hofer gurgle buster.

Would there be any surface skimming with this or should I just go ahead and silicone in the baffle/overflow?

Chibils
12/07/2007, 06:29 AM
I know it doesn't help, but it is a free bump:
Where did you get that tank? :)

sayn3ver
12/07/2007, 09:01 AM
that is not my tank in the picture. that is Halophila's who is a member on this board. I got my all-glass 33g long from my local fish shop, who is the most expensive on everything else except for tanks, they really just charge what they pay for them as they were the lowest in my area after shopping around.

Its a standard size tank with black rims top and bottom.

sayn3ver
12/08/2007, 12:17 PM
quick sketch of my setup.

http://clam.rutgers.edu/~saynever/drawing.gif