PDA

View Full Version : rampant ich

Salmonking
12/07/2007, 11:24 AM
I am seeing a outbreak of ich in reef tanks in this part of the world that is quite hard to get rid of.I believe it is coming in with the coral.Anybody else with this problem

Andrew
12/09/2007, 01:24 PM
Ich is very common and doesn't just appear in certain areas and is present in most marine tanks out there. Cryptocaryon irritans can be attached to liverock or corals easily as during the tomont stage, as they leave the hosted fish and attach to other objects in the tank. But also... keep in mind that the ich is more than likely entering your tank from newly added fish. Ich will not always be present on the fish as they have a four stage life cycle. the trophont stage is the first stage in which you will notice "white dots" on the fish which is the most noticeable stage. They will also attach to the fish later on in their cycle again after muiltiplying, in which they are not always viable to the human eye.

natan
12/09/2007, 04:05 PM
I dont know which part of the world U R in, but i do think you have a point. Look here:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html
Under the "Is "Ich" always present in our aquaria?", i think you will find the general ansver. I definetly got it with a coral frag lately, but it is not a wild collected coral, so this is likely irrelevant.